Why does this website tell me my computer is infected with a virus or malware?

Srinivas N September 15, 2012

When I try to access a particular website, a weird message appeared asking me to enter CAPTCHA every time I get into another page:

This IP address appears to be infected with a virus and doing something like sending email spam. Learn more on Wikipedia. You connect to the Internet through an IP address. You are seeing this message because your computer is likely infected with a virus. The best thing to do is to run an anti-virus scan, which will scan your computer for viruses and malware. If a virus or malware is found, anti-virus will clean the intrusion. Once your IP address is seen virus-free for 14 days, this alert will disappear.

I feel that my computer is safe because I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malware Bytes anti malware and every scan reported to be normal.

1. GrrGrrr

I had this same issue. May be some site had reported my IP or mistook as spammer, etc.
    Check the status of ur IP using the link below:
    http://www.spamhaus.org/

2. Irshaad Abdool

theoretically its not possible for a website to scan your pc for malwares, viruses n ol.
    maybe that message is from your installed anti-virus/firewall. and its also possible that its a hoax that wants you to click on links so as to download trojans/malwares/spywares n others. be careful with these notifications.

3. Usman Mubashir

The site is a spam house. I'd advise you to never visit it again, your computer is alright.

4. Erlis Dhima

First of all: I think this is a scam! If this happens only on that site you are trying to enter, then it's a scam! Do not enter anymore in that site!
    What Robe said is very true.. But, if it happens in other sites too, then you should consider resetting or configuring again your IP!

• ahmed Fouad khalil

i aggree with you too

5. Rob Hindle

Need to know more about that website, however a few possibilities:

If you've given the website your email address they may be checking it against email address blacklists and keeping you out because your adress is on one. In practise it'll not be you as an individual but probably the IP address of the mailserver handling your emails. It would be an unusual thing for anyone to do at a website and suggests that they are clueless idiots - but we all know plenty of those!

It may be that the website is supposed to be trying to get you to run a virus check program they provide - that is a common scam, the virus check tells you your PC is riddled with a nasty infection and they can sell you a program to fix it. The program they sell you will be a virus. You may not be seeing the link to their "free virus scan" either because of an error on the site or because something in your security configuration is blocking it.

They may be using you as decode the captchas from another site on their behalf letting their software log in to a forum and post spam.

The IP address you currently have may have been in use by someone else that has an infected machine or your ISP may be routing you through a proxy with other users who may be infected. In either case, that particular IP (or IP block) may have been flagged by a previous user who went to the same site with an infected machine. That IP may also appear in a blacklist of addresses that are suspected of being infected due to it being the source of a lot of spam messages in the recent past (last week or so in many cases or "phoning home" because it is part of a botnet).Are similar messages coming up on other sites or is it only affecting a single site?

• Srinivas

Thanks for the answer Bruce but i have a doubt i heard that IP adress is unique and you say "may have been in use by someone else ". But when when i connect to internet and visited that site while i have some other IP everything is fine and no such weird message appeared.. Howver only that partcular site is giving me such replies

• Srinivas

Thanx Rob, erlis,ahmed, Usman for answers. i agree with your views