Why are some webpages slow to load and others are fine?
Question by Bumferry /

I am using the latest version of Chrome on my new laptop. There seems to be a recent issue with some pages loading.
Hotmail/Outlook seems to be the worst, but others like MakeUseOf, BBC News and Sky Pports also seem to take a while to load or even freeze half way through loading.

Other sites I have on other tabs are fast and don’t have any issues, like Facebook and Blogger. There doesn’t seem to be a particular time of day that this happens and I have already tried the Google Chrome help sections without success.

I have cleared browsing history and the like but still get frozen pages. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• amir

Thanks for the plugin check answer on the chrome hangups. Found out that in my case it wasn’t the flash plugin but the Norton confidential. Disabled it and pages started loading immediately.

• Sumaiya

websites you visit often load quicker than those you are visiting the first time because of the cookies the websites store on your computer..so maybe the wesites are loading faster just because they are cached..

• achyut reddy

You might have 2 versions of chrome installed, that might be the problem

• Jidiq Bhai

try TCP optimiser or other ways of speeding up your network connection.
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php/

1) go to run and type cmd and launch it
    2) then type ipconfig /flushdns

go to Appdata/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data and delete the Local State file then Open Google Chrome and see if has helped

or

1.Open Google Chrome
    2.In the address bar type in “about:plugins”
    3.Find “Flash” and click on Disable
    4.Restart Google Chrome
    If it helps, then uninstall Flash from the Program and Feature and reinstall it

• Bumferry

As I said above, webites and pages like hotmail takes minutes to load fully, this very website has started to load slowley as well. on occasions it can take over 6 minutes for the page to fully load. I may oly get half a page on screen and then the tab freezes. i can switch to another tab where I may have twitter open for example and all works well on that page (updates and changes etc) but the new tab/page i have loaded is frozen. hope that clears things up a bit.

• Reý Aetar

try another browser if the problem remains repair your network connection .. In linux deleting the network setting then recreating it worked for me …

1) go to run and type cmd and launch it
    2) then type ipconfig /flushdns

or

1.Open Google Chrome
    3.Find “Flash” and click on Disable
    4.Restart Google Chrome

• Bumferry

Tried your second option first – It appears that I have TWO versions of flash on the laptop v.11.3.300.268 and v. 11.3.31.222.

Having checked the flash website and seeing the latest version is the former (?) I have disabled the v11.3.301.222 and restarted Chrome.

Straight away I have noticed that everything has started super quick even though I have 8 tabs open.

Thanks ha14. This seems to have solved my problem.

:O)

• Tim Brookes

You can also install Flashblock which blocks Flash entirely, allowing you to load elements (movies, etc) as and when you want them. You can whitelist domains (like YouTube) or keep Flash off until you need it. Some webpages don’t necessarily work without it, but then I find Ctrl+Shift+F (Chrome) the quickest way to solve this problem.

There are upsides to Flashblock – it doesn’t hurt content providers who rely on advertising revenue, forces things like HTML5 video and massive speed increases. Oh, and less singing-dancing adverts too!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cdngiadmnkhgemkimkhiilgffbjijcie

• Achraf Almouloudi

So you seem to be confusing your browser on which to choose now I would like to advise you to uninstall the not working one or even better uninstall all Flash then install a fresh one .

• Suman Acharya

pages with lots of images, flashes load slower than others. cached websites load faster.
    google offers page speed service for fast loading – you can try – https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/service