How do I become a webmaster?

Abdelouahab Boussakka October 16, 2012

Hi,

I want to know how to become a webmaster. What tools should I use? What courses shoud I take? What experience can I get?

Thanks.

1. Somaiya Ebrahim

learn html, css, and javascript..these are the basic things a webmaster needs to know

2. kumar raja

Learn Adobe Dreamweaver and it will help u to

3. Abdelouahab Boussakka

Thanks All of you, I appreciate your help.

4. Priya Agarwal

Start a blog/website

I thought a Webmaster was someone that had their own website. You can farm out site development etc. to those with the required skills.

6. josemon maliakal

Jack cola has the perfect answer

7. dhanunjayarao chunduri

start learning HTML5, CSS, Javascripipt, Jquery, PHP – that will get you started

8. Irshaad Abdool

learn html, css, php, mysql
    get yourself a good knwledge on web hosting,netwrkng, domain names n related
    learn to use photoshop , dreamweaver, illustrator, joomla, wordpress, facebook, cpanel.
    for advnced sites, learn flash development

9. Laga Mahesa

1) Get hosting space
    2) Upload a page
    3) Add Webmaster to your CV

A webmaster is the master/ruler/lord/emperor of a given web site. That's it. He/she doesn't even have to be the one making the content - just the administrator of the site, with full privileges including shell/ssh access.

For example, I am the webmaster of http://www.stone-d.net, http://jiks.stone-d.net, http://192.168.0.1/, and http://127.0.0.1/.

In fact, to highlight this even further, according to RFCs 2142 and 2068 all websites have an email address for this person: webmaster@domain.com. By default, all administrative correspondence related to the website goes there, whereas email related queries AND lost email goes to postmaster@domain.com.

Things get hazy when virtual hosting and resold hosting solutions come into play, or, even worse, blogs like MUO, but I'm sure you get the picture.

10. Bishal Mahat

Goto http://www.w3schools.com n learn all the languages taught there and you may be a webmaster

Define "webmaster", because I don't really think that's a thing nowadays.

If you mean you want to be a web developer, then you need technical coding skills in PHP, HTML, CSS, MySQL, Javascript - that should cover you. And experience, of course. Make some of your own DB-driven sites to start with.

If you want to a web *designer*, then you need an eye for design. This isn't really something to be learned; you need to be born an artist.

If you want to manage a site, you'll need good people skills. You'll need to juggle your staff, make lists of features for them to develop, perhaps be on top of getting advertisers, and deal with users. This is from experience that I'm saying this.

Each is a distinct role in a reasonable size website. But best to ask yourself if you want to work for someone else for a secure income, or go it alone and try to built your own site from the ground up. The fact you've asked this question means you're probably not the latter type, so get some skills, then go work for someone.

12. Deekshith Allamaneni

It is not a one time task but requires continuous work. Use services like alexa.com, google Analytics, statcounter.com, etc to analyze your website and become a webmaster. Many browser addons are also available to help you optimize your website.

13. Adrian Rea

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to build sites from scratch, build data driven sites, blogs, design fancy sites, get code and design from others and fill in, or write scripts or build and host sites for others? What do you think a webmaster is?

Ahh, that fine institution of knowledge that is eHow.

• Adrian Rea

Hmm, I did not find the article so inspiring. I think some eHow articles are good but most of them are to limiting on the amount of info they give. I thinks James' piece lower down was just as informative.

Being a webmaster isn't something you can become overnight, mainly because of the word "master" - you have to be good at it.

I suggest purchasing some hosting, a domain name and install WordPress, Joomla, Drupal (manually) and create a website that a lot of people visit that you have to run yourself. MakeUseOf.com is powered by WordPress.

I would also start learning HTML5, CSS, Javascripipt, Jquery, PHP - that will get you started

• Ahmed Khalil

good, this is the correct idea, try to get exactly what you need not just collect certificates

• Douglas Mutay

You've said it all.