Which webcam is better?

Veronika January 2, 2011

I found an old webcam and I would like to know if it is better than the built-in webcam of my laptop. I tried to compare the specs, but I don’t know which one is better.

The webcam of my Asus eee 1018P laptop has 0.3M Pixels. On the cover of the old webcam (Logitech Quickcam messenger plus), it doesn’t say how many pixels it has, but it says that the resolution of the webcam is 320×240.

Which one is better? The laptop was bought recently, but the webcam is at least two years old, so I really don’t know which one is better. Thanks for your help in advance. :)

1. Veronika

Thank you, Tina. So, the old webcam is so old that I can just throw it away, right? Or could there be some use for it? The 0.3Mpixel webcam already is quite bad quality, so I can't think of any situation where I would want to use an even worse webcam...

Veronika,

you never know when it may come in handy, but you don't really want to clutter up your house with stuff that 'may come in handy' one day. I would get rid of it. But rather than trash it, give it away to someone who wants or needs it. Use Freecycle.org or donate it.

If you're not sure whether to give away or keep, ask yourself this...
      Do you use your other webcam a lot?
      What if it broke down, would you really need it?
      Would you be able to afford a new one? Simple webcams are very cheap.

Let us know how you decide! :)

Veronika,

judging by the resolution, the camera in your netbook is better. 0.3 megapixel is VGA resolution, i.e. 640 x 480 pixel.