How can I make my webcam work under Windows 7?
Question by Rohith /

I have a Quantun qhm 100 lm webcam with built-in microphone, which is compatible with only Windows XP and ME.I have lost the driver CD. I have Windows 7 and I want to use my webcam. Please tell me, is there a way to use my webcam or I should I buy a Windowsn 7 compatible webcam? Please reply because all my friends are using video calling on fFcebook and I can’t. Thanks for your help!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Daniel DeWitt

You can install drivers for older systems like Vista, XP, NT, So on via Compatibility mode. You have to set the installer to compatibility mode for that OS so 7 knows it’s installing something for that set of system resources, and to be run as such. Sometimes you can take older drivers and install them anyway with this method. Give it a try. Peace.

• Rohith

I’ve downloaded drivers from quantum website and tried to install it but error occurred just as u guys said..I guess I have to buy a new webcam.Thanks 4 the help!

Rohith,

what are the drivers you downloaded? Were they for Windows Vista or 7?
      What does the error say?
      Is it maybe just a warning and can you proceed with installing the driver?

• Rohith

Windiws 7 is not detecting it if I simply connect it to pc.I will check the compatibility mode and get back to you.Thanks for yor help!

Hello, have you tried connecting your web cam to see if windows 7 is able to find drivers for it?   If bad comes to worse, you could run the camera in compatibility mode with windows xp.

Simply connecting it to a computer running Win7 and allowing it to search for drivers may work.  It would be better if you have the web address of the maker of the device (the only Quantum I know about makes tape backup systems).  Go to their site and search for the proper drivers if necessary.

The Windows Driver Model changed between XP and Vista.  Drivers written for XP will not work under either Vista or 7.  If there are not drivers for the webcam written for either Vista or 7, this person will be SOL.  Compatibility mode is for applications, not drivers.