Why won’t my webcam work on some websites?

Kirsty Tyrer July 30, 2012

I have an HP laptop and the built in webcam has suddenly stopped working. Whenever I click to go on the webcam, it just doesn’t open at all. Although I can’t open up my webcam, it still works on Skype and Tinychat, but I can’t take photos on websites like Tumblr or Facebook. My webcam has worked in the past, but I don’t know why it won’t work now and I would like to know how to fix it, thanks. :)

1. Janeesh VJ

That's very weird. I'd try looking at your Console logs (applications -> utilities -> Console) and seeing what happens when you load the webcam on those pages, it could be a hardware access problem.

Also try updating to the latest version of Adobe Flash

2. Luc

Hii

You can make webcam test http://checkwebcam.com/
    It can help some time

Cheers
    Luc

3. ReĆ½ Aetar

close any application that is using it like skype etc then check your flash player settings ,,
    it can also happen if google plugins in your web browser is accessing them on google sites (close these tabs first)

4. ferdinan Sitohang

it happens because your webcam is already integrated with that applications. You need to reconfigure your basic setting for accessing your cam.