Why is my built-in webcam not working?
Question by Ricky Hernandez /

My built-in webcam is not working and I’m not sure why. Whenever I video chat with friends they say they can’t see me and when I try to take a picture for Skype profile it says “cant start video. Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam.” I need help! :(

• bigredd

i have a mac computer and i went to video something for school and it told me there was no camera detected

• Joyce Ramer

My webcam is not working properly….my friend can not see my video pic.

• hz

i need help
    i cant use camera in skype…my friend said they cant see me…
    i can take photo with photo booth and all…just skype camera is not working…any advise?

• christine finley

my built-in dell webcam does not work help please

• Gian Singh

try to reinstall your OS

• nanaowusu4

it might be an issue with the drivers. try downloading fresh drivers or update the existing ones, but my wager will be on downloading model specific ones. all the best

• ferdinan Sitohang

There are some step you need to do:
    1. Make sure the device already connected in its slot correctly.
    2. Check in the device manager if the computer already recognize your device, or you need to install/update its driver
    3. If the 2 of the steps above already done. Then check which other program use your webcam. Some webcam driver devices comes with a software that can be used to access the webcam. Find it, check whether it is running or not, if it is running, then close it.
    4. Check if any other IM program running and access your cam, such as yahoo messanger, msn, aol, etc.

That’s it. Thank you

• Andy Sullivan

Find out which imaging device you have by downloading a free app called isandra.
    it will list the whole computers hardware.
    then when you have the hardware, google the exact name and find the DRIVERS and always try and use the official manufacturers website.
    install drivers and then reboot.
    Also before doing this, check your DEVICE DRIVERs and check to see if any yellow triangles. if so you need to click and remove driver and reinstall newest as above.

• Âdil Farôôq

Update the webcam drivers.

• Gerardo

Try downloading the latest driver for your built-in webcam. You can find out what type of webcam you are using by right clicking My Computer then Device Manager. Your webcam should be under Imaging Devices. After getting what type of webcam you are using, you can search the web for the updated device driver. Download the driver then install. I hope this helps. Good day!!!