Why has my webcam disappeared from Windows device manager?

Albert Kidils Amuzu October 7, 2012

I can’t see my webcam drivers in the device manager anymore. My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6 and has a truevision HD webcam. I have tried downloading a new webcam drivers but it still didn’t work.

Maybe the wires from camera to motherboard have failed at the lid hinge. Somewhat difficult DIY fix.

2. Irshaad Abdool

restart the laptop and enter the bios setup, maybe it has been disabled from there :)

3. Luis Garza

For a good driver cleaner try Treexy Driver Fusion. Clean out if you are able to see it and then download the original driver for your webcam. Does it show an unknown driver.

4. Dave Rimmer

Have you looked in Control Panel/ Programs and Features see if you can see your webcam and uninstall it restart PC run CCleaner and Reg scan from CCleaner then install webcam again see hoe it goes.

5. Ahmed Khalil

try the orignal driver for the cam. but uninstall the existing one first

6. Dimal Chandrasiri

I think you have a software issue. try to get a driver uninstaller and find whether the actual hardware is detected. if so, remove it and install it again! or else there might be an issue with your windows OS.

7. Mohammad Hamad

Try to find a good driver updater and update all your drivers will find it

8. Elrick Browne

if its completely gone then it could be driver, bios, or hardware failure. but if it was driver it will still show under other devices, so that leaves bios, and most computers i messed with does have a option in bios to turn off the webcam, so that last thing would be hardware failure

perhaps to install it in compatibility mode
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/compatibility

on webcam driver right click the programs and you will find 'troubleshoot compatlity'

perhaps is hardware problem and not software. or webcam connector is not connected?