What is the best way to be a web developer and designer?

Erlis Dhima August 13, 2012

It’s been some time, since I started to learn HTML & CSS. I’ve read a lot of articles. But I would also like to hear your opinion.

So, my question is simple: What is the best way to be a web developer & designer?

Give me some idea of the steps I should follow to create cool sites! :)

1. Kathy Davis

Before you create a site refer with many other sites and try to look different from others. Make your own designing styles....

2. Irshaad Abdool

html >> css >> sql >> mysql >> php (learn about networking, servers, hosting n ol)

learn graphic design (photoshop, illustrator)
    flash development
    facebook marketing
    JOOMLA!!!!! + the other Content Management Systems like WordPress

then get yourself a good webhosting provider. and there you go for an exciting experience! get used to work during odd hours or during times where your friends are snoring. web design can also be a part-time job or a hobby

• Erlis Dhima

Good leveling up, I would say! Thanks for the great hint you gave me! :D
      Now, the only thing that is left, is to get to work! :3

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I marked this question as solved! If you have something to add, just comment below! Thanks again! :)

3. Timothy Liem

get to the college or university majoring the web designing or web developing.

• Erlis Dhima

That would be the most obvious thing!
      But to think that here there is not such a branch, it's something else to talk about! So, I'll stick with learning by myself... :)

4. Rob Hindle

The real question is: what do you mean by ..."be a web developer & designer"?
    Do you mean find out how to stick some text and images into a WordPress template?
    Do you mean for personal web site or as a business or to find employment?

If it's to get work then the first thing to do is to decide what your strengths are. Complete web design means you need to understand so many different skills nobody could ever master them all: CSS, HTML, Javascript, PHP, SEO, copy writing, SMM, ecommerce, mobile, webserver setups, the legal issues, Photoshop, your chosen CMS - and a load more. Then you've got to find paying customers. Without a portfolio of successful completed projects that's very difficult.

You might do better to first decide where your talents lie. If you're really great with visual design focus on that rather than try to learn all the other stuff. If you're great with coding then, well I've never met a programmer whose any better than "adequate" at visual design (loads of self deluded ones who think they're good!).

Build your own portfolio site with a view to developing real demonstrable in-depth expertise in some aspect of the technology - a marketable skill that might help get you some work. If you want to do more than that then why not team up with some other guys with specialist skills.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks Rob! This are really good aspects to see this! I think you are right! The best way to do it, is focus in what I can do better, then decide to learn more!
      I was searching for a way to build a page from scratch, not with pre-created codes like wordpress... For now I'm focusing on learning HTML and CSS.
      I will think later for other languages...
      Thanks again for your comment! It really guided me! :)

5. fatihamzah

Well, the same with you, i also learn web design. I just recommend you to learn the basic (HTML-CSS) for the beginner. My friend told me to learn web coding, just play around with HTML & CSS. After that, you may understand PHP a little and then learn it. PHP is good for web. Or other like Java, etc. The bestway you may learn with your 'base skill'. If youre Designer thats the bestway to you to learn "How is the website became cool and useful with good interface" but if your base skill is coding (Programming) thebestway is to learn "How is the website became full of security, fast to open, and compatible with all browser.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks fatihamzah! You really helped! I will learn more of the basics, and then go to some advanced lessons! :)

6. Erlis Dhima

I've used http://w3schools.com/ for some time... But I was searching for some other type of learning!
    For example, the site Fahim says, sound interesting...
    Anyway, thanks a lot!
    I will leave this question for some more days, and then mark it as solved!

7. Ahmed Saqr

http://w3schools.com/

It's the best site for this purpose
    and recommended to start with

8. Fahim Ahmed

go to codeacademy.com. You get points for every lesson

9. Adjei Kofi

I'll recommend you use W3schools.com. It is a website that specializes in teaching how to create professional websites. You can also download the full website so you can read it offline.

10. Sudeep Acharya

I think now you should start learning wordpress. Visit wordpress.org

Also if you fill it difficult then there are a lot of websites around web to learn.