Is there a way to avoid the extra expense of set-top cable boxes for each of my TVs?

Bruce R August 18, 2014

Now that I’m getting phone, cable TV, & Internet in a pkg from my cable provider, and the tv is all digital, all 10 sets in my home require a ” set top” decoder box to use. Of course these are available exclusively from the cable company for $7.99 each. In my case $80 more monthly on top of the cost of my package! Outrageous! Is there another way to get TV signal to all those other TV’s to make them work?

I forgot about the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime 3 cable card tuner that you can use to stream even premium channels to computers, smartphones, Xbox 360, tablets, and Android stick or box devices. The extra cost may be higher, but you would not have to pay rental fees for three tv's or devices. You can find it here, along with more information: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345006&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=4328635&SID=. Unless you have plenty of computers or devices like Xbox 360's and/or Android devices to connect to your tv's, and may need a couple HD Homerun devices to run 6 tv's, there isn't much else to keep the costs down. It could take a few years for the cost savings to pay for the setup, but each year after that would save a lot of money.

It depends on the cable company and their offerings, such as Comcast/Xfinity and their online live tv viewing capabilities, apps for smartphones, etc. If this is not available, you could purchase a tuner card for the computer that reads the access cards for your cable provider, though that would be costly for the initial purchase and possibly an extra monthly charge, anyways. Either way, there will be extra costs going somewhere.

Dish Network with Hopper technology (built-in Slingbox and DVR) allows for viewing live and recorded tv for a limited amount of devices like phones, computers, tablets, etc., for free. They also have virtual "Joey" receiver capabilities on select 2013 and 2014 LG smart tv's as well as the PS3 and PS4, but requires an extra monthly access charge (though rental fees are not applicable since it is using your devices). Other cable and satellite services may have similar options.

What you can do is that subscribe to those channels which are exclusively available on cable in Set top box nd then for rest of the TVs,use antenna which will provide you good quality HD channels which are better than those you'll get in cable providers.

See the below article for indepth information -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoudiallo/2013/10/16/how-to-cut-tahe-cord-cable-tv/