How can I watch movies on my TV through a USB port?

SURAJIT BOSE December 3, 2011

I have an LCD TV from LG with a USB port. I want to watch movies and view photos through that USB port using a 500GB external hard drive that I can also connect to my laptop. What’s the best way to do this?

1. Akshat

I have an 26" Inch Lcd Tv Of Lg.. Wen i plug in the usb for playing movies it shows no items to display.. Please help..

2. Salvatore

convert videos to mp4 n enjoy

3. Omar Junaid

1.Connect Hard Drive or buy a projector
    2.If you have a PC Input and PC Laptop Cable connect it to TV
    3. If you have chosen a projector,connect it and good luck!
    TRY AND CONNECTING YOUR PC laptop PC CABLE TO THE HDMI INPUT IF THAT doesn't work ------ no way to fix this solution  

4. Timajo_mayene

I hqve a Samsung 32inch flatscreen with usb port.
    When I plug in my portable hard drive to watch a movie the only options the Tv gives is photos or music how can I watch my movies ???

5. Johnfahlsing

Also, Photdex has a wide range of photo slide show creators that willblow you mind!

6. Johnfahlsing

convertx2dvd, save the vob dir on the external, view it! I also do the same with photos, you can also use avs converter to convert to TV format, widescreen etc. Remember, not all tv's support usb videos, but all tv's support dvd files. Your on the right track, and NTFS will do the trick as well. I watch movies thru my 16 gig usb stick and if i get bored, plug in my external 100 gig hd and just click on what i want. Movies sometimes have to be converted for ntfs formats to play in most dvds so the same holds true for usb watching.

• Rosetta

Hi. When I plug my USB into my HDTV the TV detects the USB, it lists the files on the USB but when I try to see them (when I click on them) it says 'there are no items to display'. Can you help?

WDTV Live media
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/06/wd-tv-live-media-streamer-skips-internal-storage-for-spotify/
    allows  to view AVI;MPAEG; WMA media from a western digital harddrive via
    HDMI input. This produces excellent playback quality providing you have ripped
    DVD movies

How to Play Movies on Your External Hard Drive Onto a Television
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6853355_play-hard-drive-onto-television.html

Hello, as long as your external hard drive is formatted in FAT32 and your TV allows to watch pictures, movies, etc from usb it is just a matter of connecting USB drive to USB port.  As long as the videos in external drive are in a format that TV is compatible with, you should be able to see and play them.  There are also TV that are compatible with reading NTFS format in external drives.

One of the limitations of FAT32, is that you can not save a file over 4GBs.  Keep in mind that you can find the files compatible with your TV and also how your drive can be formatted by reading the manual that came with your TV

• MIke

Simply use a media player such as Turmode HD2000 :http://www.factorydirect.ca/Product.aspx?sku=TU2000
      Plug the media player to the tv and the usb hard drive to the media player and voila no converting necessary, plays flv, avi, msk, mov and many more files directly.