How do I watch videos on my compatible Samsung TV?

Julie Osborne October 12, 2012

I have a samsung TV (model LC32c350d1d) and a 2TB external hard drive (externally powered) connected through my TV’s USB port. I have formatted my external hard drive to FAT32 and my TV recognizes it, but when I go to play media my only options are “photo” and “music”. It totally works for my pictures and music, but I want to watch some downloaded movies.

The movies are .AVI and when I talked to tech support they said my TV supports video through the USB. Everything I’ve found online shows a video option next to the “photo” and “music” option so how can I fix this? Any step by step help would be appreciated

1. bird bbc

Hi, you can follow this guide, it shows how to convert video for samsung TV, H.264 MP4 format is well, and the software can convert DRM files.
    http://www.tv-converter.com/guide/samsung-smart-tv-avi-watch-play-avi-movies-on-samsung-smart-tv/

2. Julie Osborne

I upgraded the filmware and it still doesnt work. I tried using a flash drive and again it still doesnt work. Ive talked to couple people at samsung and they say my tv supports my hard drive and and supports .avi files and ive tried an mp4 and still didnt work. i have no option of video when i plug either the flashdrive or external in. just "photo" and "music" are options. would it be benefitial to try and get a mini B USB (port that goes into my hard dive) and hdmi cord and just connect it through my hdmi port?

• Adrian Rea

NO, you cannot connect the hard drive with a single USB to HDMI cable.

• Adrian Rea

I dont think there is such a cable anyway!

• Dave

Hi, I am having the same problem, can you tell me did u get to fixed and how did you do it.

3. Aditya Roy

Bring out the handbook, and check for what kind of files your tv can play.

4. Dave Rimmer
  5. Dimal Chandrasiri

first of all, check that your TV supports large disc drives. since, you say that, it supports pictures and music, I guess the driver is supported. if so, copy the movie files directly do the HDD ( not in to any folders ). some devices doesn't supports folder systems. try it that way and if problem exists, try a USB flash device with the same movie file! if the TV recognizes the movie and play it, it's something with the HDD..

6. Harish Jonnalagadda

First, check what files can run on the TV. Then use a converter like Format Factory to convert your files.

Try upgrading the firmware of your TV.Also,make sure that your each movie you are trying to play doesn't exceed 4 GB size.

8. Erlis Dhima

I think you should install some drivers to your tv..
    Here is a page:
    http://www.driverowl.com/p/Samsung/LN32C350D1D/Driver/79385
    Maybe there are updates you can do to your tv software!
    I'm not quite sure this is the problem, since I'm not to much familiar with lcd tvs..
    But, I think the best answer that you can get, is from the tech guys where you bought the tv! Ask them why you don't have the video option...

9. Adrian Rea

You may need to convert the file to Divx. I would check with the manual to see what file types are accepted. You may also find issues if the file is DRM locked.