How can I watch video from a USB drive on my Samsung TV?
Question by danny /

How can I watch video from a USB drive on my Samsung 5520 LED TV? Every time I try the TV tells me the USB flash drive is not in a compatible format. What format does it need to be in?

• Carla Lewis

I’m right there with you. I just bought a Samsung because of the “Connect Share”. While it is emblazoned on the box the television came in, no where in the product manual does it mention “Connect Share”. It does recognize the USB key and the photos and music on it, but not videos. I have every format from AVI, MKV, MP4 each with different encoding to determine if it was my movie formats and it will not list any of them, much less give me the opportunity to try and play them.

Hello, Usually your external drive has to be formatted using fat32. I was reading in the link provided below, that your tv accepts fat16 and NTFS.   If you browse up to page 31 in the .pdf document in the link, it will tell you the formats that are compatible with your tv.  There are two reasons why a format is not recognized, the first one is a corrupted usb drive or uncompatible formats.  In your case it is possible that the files you have in your drive are not compatible with your Connect Share player.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201003/20100329095441625/BN68-02769A-00Eng-0226.pdf

Double check that the manual is for your tv, if not check the manual that came with your tv or go to Samsung and download one for your model.

Supported media and drive formats are listed in your TVs manual that shipped with your television or can be found online at the Samsung Support.

If your drive and files do meet the requirements the official support is the best (if not only) place that can help you