Why can’t I watch video or make Skype video calls?

Andrew Brager March 23, 2012

I either get a black screen or what looks like a TV test pattern or similar (vertical or horizontal colored lines) when I try to either play a video or use Skype to make a Skype call. I can use ANY third party video player (including Windows Media Player, VLC, mplayer, etc.) and ANY video and/or video format (.mpg, .mp4, .xvid, .avi, .mkv, etc.) and I get somewhat similar results.

What do all of these applications have in common? What could be misconfigured on my computer? How can I fix it?

The screen doesn’t go entirely wonky, just the play area. I can view YouTube videos and Hulu.com just fine, it’s just the third party videos and Skype calls.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Hello, I would say if you have no problems watching youtube and such, it is a matter of codecs.  What codec does skype use for video?  

2. Reý Aetar

Change the output renderer. of your media player and change the 3d settings of your graphics card to your need that works well
    or just update the card driver

It could also be duo to a DirectX problem or hardware acceleration.

I suggest to download and install the latest DirectX for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8109

As for hardware acceleration1. right lick > properties on your Desktop to get into Display Properties
    2. click on the Settings tab
    3. click the Advanced button
    4. in the new windows navigate to the Troubleshooting tab

Try changing the "value" of the hardware acceleration.

uninstall your video card driver from device manager, reboot windows and let windows to detect a new hardware and install a new video card driver.

uninstall vlc then reinstall again