How to watch TV on laptop / all-in-one PC without Windows login?

Niraz Bhattarai October 14, 2012

I bought Lenovo all-in-one PC (C200) and I want to watch TV on this. The matter is, I want to watch TV without typing password and starting application. As on normal LCD and CRT monitors, which does not need CPU (connects through VGA). But In my PC neither VGA nor HDMI port is available. So, I have these options:

1. Connecting through USB TV tuner card (needs Windows booting)
2. Can I connect DTH set top box through HDMI (adding USB to HDMI cable)? or (don’t know what happens)
3. Can I connect using USB to VGA on my PC? (don’t know what happens)
4. ?????? Suggest me please…

1. Abigail Cable

I would recommend checking with KVMSwitchTech. They offer a wide range of video converter solutions I have used a few of their products on the past and they work pretty well.

2. Abba Jee

how is it possible ? you want to watch tv without turing on your laptop? and if you start it , first thing it will do search for boot sector and boot into windows which sure will lead you to the login windows maybe i couldn't understand what exactly you asked
    the methods you mentioned above are suitable for Desktop Pc , but not ideal for Laptops

3. Jonas Nordgren

look into xbmcbuntu, turns your pc into a media center,iirc no login, and it definately works with a tuner.

• Niraz

Thank You. I will definately try this one n reply here soon.

• Niraz

I installed this one on USB drive but dont know how to operate it as TV. Could you please elaborate?

4. Norbert Gruszfeld

On the housing of your PC there should be a button to swich inputs, connect the PC to the box using HDMI and U should be able to watch TV

• Niraz

There iz no such switch on the housing. It only have USB and LAN port(RJ 45).As I don have HDMI on pc .Can I connect pc to stb box through cable (USB-HDMI)??

5. Bodi Hemanth

U can use External TV TUNER (Device for watching TV)
    for watching TV on Desktop or Laptop without turning on ur CPU

6. kumar raja

U can use TV TUNER (Device for watching TV)

• Niraz

Mr. Raja, I think its not so easy as u said. I tried by an external usb stick of umax n it needs windows log in. But I want to watch tv on this pc like as on CRT or LCD monitors connects on vga from tv tuner. And If u know that tv tuner which doesnt need windows booting, works on laptop or all-in-one pc. Please suggest me with brand n model name. Thanks.

You want to connect your All-in-One PC to a set top box for watching TV without windows login.

If your set top box if of HD one then you can connect your PC to the box via HDMI cable to HDMI ports.I couldn't make sure that whether the PC has HDMI port or not.

You cannot use an external USB TV tuner without windows login as they require some driver(s) to be installed for use.

• Niraz

As I said above, STB has hdmi port n pc neither have vga nor hdmi except usb. Can I connect directly through HDMI to USB cable ( from STB to pc) or USB to VGA (pc to TV Tuner of vga type).