How can I watch polarized 3D videos on my computer monitor?

Thiru February 14, 2011

I have an Acer 18.5″ LCD Monitor. I want to see polarized 3D videos using 3D glasses on my computer monitor. I don’t know how. Please help me.

1. tmen

Hello Thiru, it is very possible to watch 3d videos in a computer nowadays. There are several video cards that support this kind of feature already such as Nvidia, MSI and ASUS to name a few. You can check if your monitor is supported by these 3D video cards in this site:

You'll also find a step-by-step guide on how to install 3D in your computer as well as the minimum system requirements in order to make this feature running.

Thank you very much. :)

2. Rahul2champ

can i convert samsung 20'' lcd monitor into 3D..??
    i also have nvdia graphix card 1GB.
    plz hwlp me Sir.

3. Alexis10

What type of 3D content can I watch on an LCD laptop screen? In a FS Amilo Xi3650 especially. My GPU is Nvidia 9600GT and supports 3D vision. I bought a pair of cheap LGsomething 3D polarized glasses. Could it work???

NVIDIA 3D Vision requires the original polarized glasses from NVIDIA. It won't work with "some" LG glasses. Also your laptops display needs to support 3D and has to be set to 120Hz refresh rate.

You can find a list of supported Games and Apps at this page.

To watch Blue-ray 3D on your laptop you also need an software player that supports 3D e.g. CyberLink PowerDVD 11.

4. wait

ok, maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but couldn't a 120HZ monitor display 2 images in alternating screens each at 60hz? That's exactly how the CRT monitors did it, and you could use the stupid cheap plastic glasses to do it. I know this because I OWN A GAME FROM THE 90s that did 3D on my computer CRT, you could watch a trex come at you in 3d with cheap glasses.

I think that if they really tried they could get 120hz monitors to display 3D, but they'd rather sell us new tvs. Id pay like 100$ for a conversion kit for the LCD I own, but I'm not gonna junk a 40 inch, 120Hz, 1080p monitor for what is essentialyl a gimmic

• Pplingo

i played stracraft in 3d on a 21" crt many years ago.  the glasses had the active flickering like the ones today and it only cost me $30 bucks for them.

• Lewis

Your monitor is already 3D.. Any 120Hz monitor is 3D Vision ready. All 3D Vision needs is a 120Hz LCD, which is why their more pricey. Most LCD's are just 60Hz, I've yet to see one in your everyday computer store thats 120Hz. All you need now is the Kit and a 3D Ready GPU. Your all set.

5. Rayashton01

what type of glasses do you need to watch side-by-side 3d video on computer screen?

6. Hello4448

Yah IT's 10% True, Use Power DVD 11 Which hav "3d Enabled" Option.
    But U have 2 use nvidia 3d vision tech Graphics Card & Active 3d Glass.

7. ryazan

the simple way is to use powerdvd 11 which converts 2d videos into 3d and u can watch 3d video wearing 3d glassess easy....

8. Dawoodishabbir

is that true that we can watch 3d movies on our CRT monitors !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kenn

YES! I have Glascope 3d glasses and I watch 3d on my laptop.

9. Pip-h

i have a simple monitor and watching all video with 3d player or convert them . u can body . those said u cant and u have to buy...or using a new 3d hardware just publication for thier product

• Dnmeboy

Did anyone notice that the OP as,Ed specifically about POLOARIZED videos? He asked if he could watch polarized videos on his regular pc monitor. He didn't ask about anaglyph 3d. Yes you can watch anaglyph on anything with a screen that will play it. Polarized 3d TVs have a specific lens that projects two images. You need a polarized display to watch polarized videos.

10. Help-

im agree with u

11. Am8patil

you can also watch videos in 3d by using 3d video player using 3d glasses(blue red glasses) .............

i use it ........ u can trust it

12. Am8patil

YES YOU CAN WATCH 3D videos on your regular pc monitor 

you'll have to just download a 3d videos converter (i suggest you to use Axara 2D to 3D Converter)
    then next step is to create own 3d glasses("How to create your own 3d glasses" google it) or you have to buy a new 1 .....
    then after that you have to convert a video using your downloaded 3d converter and then put on your glasses and enjoy  buddy .............. :)

NOTE   :-

• Dadddy Gill

thanxxxxxxxxx so much bro

I doubt that they will be cheaper since the involved technologies. You have to move to the market ask some questions to find the right deal. My guess is to sell your laptop and to buy a better one.

Alienware OptX AW2310 monitor,it's sold separately from NVIDIA at $499

Acer’s new HS244HQ 3D gaming monitor

The Acer HS244QS comes with Acer 3D glasses as well as built-in IR emitter and 3D HDMI port that will help you connect your 3D Blu-Ray Player to watch the latest 3D movie or 3D broadcast directly on your new monitor.

from samsung, The 950 series includes S23A950 and T23A950 (23 inch) and S27A950 and T27A950 (27 inch).
    The 950 series of 3D LED monitors by Samsung will be available by March 2011. The price is not yet revealed

Samsung SyncMaster 2233rz arround 200USD from amazon

Zalman TRIMON 22" 3D Monitor , 460USD

Zalman ZM-M220W

NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision is the most immersive gaming experience for the PC

3D movies that have been released on home video are Anaglyph 3D

The current crop of 3D movies in the theatre are "polarized" 3D. These have an analog picture that is projected through a special lens that sends two separate images to the screen. When wearing polarized lenses, each eye will see a different picture and create the 3D effect.

There is also an LCD shutter form of 3D, mostly in the form of cheap Chinese glasses that actually hook up by wire to old analog TVs and come bundled with older 3D movies (It Came From Outer Space, House of Wax, etc). With some tweaking you can get this to work on older CRT monitors, but there is very little content available for this format and it will not work on LCD monitors.

These 3D LCD monitors can all be used with polarized 3D glasses to produce true 3D effects.
    1)IZ3D H220z1: IZ3D does have, by far, the best drivers and playing games on this monitor can be pretty amazing.
    2)Hyundai W220S
    3)Zalman ZM-M220W
    4)Nvidia 3D Vision Bundle with 22" Samsung Monitor

In order for a computer based video game to be played in true 3D requires not only a very specialized 3D monitor but also that the game itself be programmed to make use of that technology.

Acer Reveals 3D Laptop
    The device doesn't use hardware-based 3D acceleration like Nvidia's 3D
    Vision GPU, but rather relies on a software solution called Acer 3D
    CineReal and the TriDef suite. However the software works in
    conjunction with a special 3D coating on the laptop's screen and a pair of polarized glasses
    Priced at around £950 the laptop will come with home theatre features

• Thiru

Thank you very much for your replay. But I want to watch movies and games in 3d. Which monitor is cheaper and display 3d Tech. Please help me. Thanks advance.

• Rakeshsb

3D ACER monitor 8,000+tax 

• MadMax

A lot of newer video cards support 3D tech. I just watched a 3d movie on my pc using the polarized 3D glasses and it worked fine showing all detail in its respective stereoscopic view. I do not know why people keep telling people you can not view the movies on pc in 3D. the film is shot in 3D and not projected in 3d. The cameras they film is are specially designed to shoot in 3D. Film student graduate.

• Zan_adnan

where to get videos for polarized 3D glasses

Zan, that's an interesting question and since it's different from the one above, it would be worth posting it as a new question.

• Zan

Firstly when i got videos then the problem how to watch them :)
          from where i get videos for sample... or a movie to watch with polarized 3D glasses.
          i have video card 3D supported.

• Raj jagadeesh

how u watch 3d movies with polarised glass in pc. support with any software? i have one polarised 3d glass & i dnt knw how to watch 3d movies with that glass in pc..plz reply me frnd. pls how ?...... pls reply to my mail id ""

• Sjsj

The ps3 just did an update that makes it 3d compatible. Just need the 3d tv.

A regular LCD can not show polarized 3d video. No way around it...