How can I watch movies stored on my external Maxtor hard drive on my TV through the PVR?
Question by Lindsey /

I have a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive back up system connected to my laptop where I have stored all my movies and music etc. I would like to be able to watch those movies on my TV and I have a PVR (topfield I think) with a USB port. Is there a cable I can buy to link the hard drive to the PVR and do I need anything to convert the format etc. to allow the movies to be played?
Cheers
Lindsey

• Adrianna

i have a mac id like to format in such a way that i drag movies to the mac and watch via usb on a samsung tv???thanks

• Mcguirepk

my seagate external drive want work with my wd tv western digital medial player said no storage

• Sil

How an I get a MAC compatible external HDD to play in my LG tv or on a blu ray/DVD player? I’m happy to buy a cheap new appliance but not sure what to do. It’s not NTFS or FAT32 and would rather not convert to FAT32 due to the file size issue. I bought a MAC compatible HDD to put all my movies etc on but now it sits there unused as neither of my TV’s or DVD/Blu ray players recognise it as USB or input – please help & Merry Christmas :)

• Maryann-w

I have a flash drive with movies on it and I can’t get the flash drive to work with my Tv.  I plug the flash drive in a USB on the TV and I plugged it into my PVR it still won’t work.  Nothing comes up on the T.V.   Can someone help Please.

• Riley

I have a LG flat planel tv and it works great with my external hard drive the problem I am having is certain movies won’t play on the tv, it will start playing and then after 10-15 seconds it stops and goes back to the movie menu, but these movies work fine on my computer, can anyone tell me why thanks

Riley,

the above question is several months old and as you see you have not received a response to your comment. I’m afraid I cannot answer your question, however, I recommend you to ask a new question. It will be published on the Answers frontpage and you will receive replies for sure!

• Jukey123

try converting all films to avi that should work m8

• Cal

The newer LG flat panel TV’s will play most all formats through USB ports, and that includes MKV files.

Hi
    1) Purchase a DVD player that can handle downloaded files. LG and Phillips are two popular makers of these players.

2) USB-based external hard disk kits with video out capabilities.

3) For PCs, use a video card with video out, such as S-Video, and connect it to the TV. Most modern TVs have S-Video input. Most modern laptops also have S-Video out. Alos Don’t forget to connect the audio as well.

the items on the HD are stored as files that only a computer can read. try this Get a dvd player with a usb connection, make sure your hard drive is formatted in fat32, then possibly you should be able to play AVI movie file.

Western Digital makes a device called a “WD TV HD Media Player ”. You can connect your external drive to it with a USB cable, and then connect the MP to your television set. You plug a flash drive or USB hard drive into the side, HDMI out and you can play .AVI, .MPG, .MP4, .WMV ..most formats except .rm. This is about the simplest and cheapest way to go and it works quite well.

Oppo DV-980H

External hard drives which connect with USB all work with Bell Receiver models 6131 and 6141 which turns them into recordable PVRs. They range in price from $50 to $300 depending on the size, speed and model.

or
    You need a device such as a WD-TV. You connect your USB drive and your TV A/V to it, and use a remote to navigate media from your driv
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735

MediaGate

The MediaGate has four ways for you to stream the movies from your PC onto the TV. The easiest is to copy the videos onto an external hard drive and bring it into the room where the MediaGate is connected to your TV. Connect the external drive to the MediaGate’s mini-USB 2.0 port, turn it on, fiddle with the remote, and start watching. Yep, it’s that easy.

Videos played perfectly, too, without any lag or stutter, despite the external connection; about the only delay is at the start when a video begins loading into the MediaGate’s memory.

The second method is straightforward, too. Grab a spare SATA drive (formatted as FAT32 or NTFS), and install it inside the MediaGate. It takes just a few minutes to remove the MediaGate’s cover, pop the drive in and connect the cable, and screw the case back on. The process is the same as with an external hard drive: Copy movies from your PC to the MediaGate and connect it to the TV.

LG XF1 Multimedia External Hard Drive

some says that Samsung PN50C550G1F can connect my external HD and thumb drives to it and play .ts, .avi, .mkv, and .wmv video files.