How do I watch movies with my external hard drive on my TV?

Brennin K January 16, 2014

I have a Western Digital 2tb My Passport Ultra that I put movies from my laptop on there to watch on my TV. I have tried multiple TVs in my house that have a USB port in them. When I try to hook my hard drive up to them, the TV either shows that the movies aren’t there or the TV won’t register that I have hooked my hard drive into it. I have no clue what to do since the movies work on my laptop just not on my TV. If anyone has any idea on how to help me it would be great if you could give me an answer! Thank you!

We would need the T.V. make and model numbers to investigate further on what, if any, video file types are supported by the tv's. Many USB ports on tv's are for viewing photos, maybe listen to music, and updating the firmware of the tv. Some tv's can support mpeg2 formatted videos, others avi. Without more information, all we can do is guess.

2. Thiha B

If your TV support to connect to your external hard disk drive and can load movie formats, you can watch.
    If your TV can't support to connect to your external hard disk drive and can't load movie formats , you can't watch.

3. Mohit

Just refer to the video format supported by the TV and the format your video files are in. Generally TVs support a limited set of video formats