Can I watch free cable TV via Wi-Fi when I don’t have access to the router?

Dillon Smith July 8, 2012

I am moving to a new apartment next month. The apartment comes with free wireless internet from the landlord’s apartment on the floor below. I wouldn’t have access to the router or the landlord’s cable box. Is there some way to watch cable free online?

1. Show More

I always go to
    They have a lot of TV shows there.
    IT is free and no viruses & ads~

2. Ryan Dube

Dillon, the only thing you could do (at least as of today) is use services like Hulu or Netflix to watch tv episodes and movies. The thing is, if you start doing that, your landlord may recognize a major drain on his bandwidth (all of his internet activities will slow down), so I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you really want to watch TV, you'll probably have to pay for it one way or the other - either pay for cable, or pay for your own Internet connection so you can watch Netflix, Hulu, etc...

3. Dalsan

You wouldn't be able to watch cable tv online for free unless your landlord would give you his cable information to login to his cable account (like Comcast has for being able to watch channels online). You can watch a few episodes on the tv channels' website, though it may be earlier episodes for limited time and not many channels do this service. Otherwise, you would need a service like Netflix to watch episodes. Unless you watch international tv a lot, internet tv software or services that are free would offer very little for American content. Your best bet would be to pay for cable service that offers viewing over the internet, although that is not exactly what you are looking to do. Hulu Plus, Netflix, and local news channels would be the next thing you could do for close to cable replacement at a cheaper price. For local channels, you could use a digital tv tuner card and antenna connected to your computer. That is just about all you can really do, because even the scam of the satellite tv online service offers little more than the free internet tv software you can get, though they charge you a fee and boast about more channels, but not the channels you really want. Sorry, not much more you can do, otherwise millions of people would have canceled their tv service and the cable/satellite companies would be bankrupt by now.

• Dalsan

P.S. I searched for years to try to do the same, but that was all I found. No luck, and broke.