Why can I not watch Flash videos in Firefox 5?

marco June 21, 2011

I can’t watch YouTube because it only shows a black screen. I also can’t see other flash objects on the web. I have updated my Flash Player, but it didn’t work.

I use Firefox 5. In IE9 I can watch YouTube, but I hate that browser.

1. Vincint Zangari

I am on Fedora 15 KDE 4.6.3 with FF 5, and there is no flash, even though I have tried to update it plenty of times. Restarting in safe mode does not help, since it is with all the browsers (except chrome/chromium)...I think I am going to uninstall FF5 and roll back to FF4...

2. Beefjerk

Resting FireFox in safe mode fixed mine.

3. Nomail

none of these work for me

4. Mih Tien

Thank a lot, Jeff. It's work fine now.

5. Jamesz

It's strange because I can run several flash videos in Google Chrome at the same time and yet Firefox 5 freezes frequently due to many websites having flash files running while opening. 
    I prefer Firefox over Chrome but may have to switch because of this problem.

Marco,

did Jeffery's instructions solve your problem? Please let us know whether it worked. Thank you!

Hi Marco,

I had this problem just a few hours ago. It turned out to be an extension I was using that got corrupted during the upgrade. Start Firefox in Safe Mode by going to the Firefox button, go over to the Help menu (arrow, not text) and select Restart with Addons disabled.If this helps, it's a theme, extension or plugin causing the issue. In which case disable them until you've found the right one, uninstall it and re-enable the other ones. If it turns out being an extension called Adblock Plus (as it was for me), you simply have to update your subscriptions and check for plugin updates.

You could also try clearing your history (Firefox button -> History Arrow -> Clear Recent History -> Time Range To Clear: Everything).

If those two fail, try uninstalling Adobe Flash all together, restart your computer and then re-install Flash.

Reference: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/776670