How can I watch DVD files on my TV without decoding them or using my PC’s media player?
Question by Gareth Beak /

I have 6 terabytes of DVD files on hard drives on my PC that I want to play on my TV via my network. I don’t want to have to convert them all to MPEG and I don’t want to use the PC as a media player. Is there a way to decode these files and play them straight on my TV?

• Ed

Actually you don’t need to convert them to MPEG format since DVD files (.vob) are MPEG files already.

What I do is change the extension of .vob files inside the VIDEO_TS folder to .mpg

This works 99% of the time since most player recognize .mpg files but not individual .vob files.

Best Network Media Players and Media Streamers

you can try something similar to 
    Western Digital WD TV HD Media
    you can plug the hard drive and play the media on TV.
    Designed for My Passport, works with many
    other USB storage devices – Play content from most popular USB
    drives, and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be
    recognized as mass storage devices

Netgear Push2TV
    instead of connecting the computer via an HDMI cable, the Netgear Push2TV takes its place, and wirelessly streams the contents of your computer

Hello, I think we need to know more about your TV.  Does your TV have a wireless/ethernet card?  Is your TV networked?  If the answer is yes, to any of the previous questions, you could use something like Twonky:

Serviio media server:

You can also connect the external to your computer through USB and share it in your network.  Provided your TV is networked, you can access the files from the share.  You have to take into consideration the formats the TV is able to play.

Even though it is not through the network, there is also the option of connection your external drive to USB port in your TV.  Does the TV have a USB port compatible with flashdrive/external drive? Depending on the TV, sometimes they are compatible with NTFS but most are not.  To be able to access content of USB from TV, most times external drive has to be formatted in FAT32.  That would mean that the files should be under 4 GBs in size.  That also means you would have to reformat your external to FAT32.