How can I watch cable television on my PC?

Samir Salihu February 11, 2012

Is there a program that can connect my TV to my cable service so I can watch channels on my PC? I’m not talking about streaming video, but rather the cable channels themselves. Thanks.

1. patrick

i am using HDTV on my pc and some of the stations have been LOCKED help me with free downloading a software that can UNLOCK the stations for me

2. lissette

no thank you

3. Chitrasen Rout

I want to connect the digital TV with my PC TV tuner card. Please clarify me about this.

• Susendeep Dutta

If your TV tuner card has HDMI port then you can connect it to TV using HDMI cable.

4. Bruce

Additionally, be aware of the difference between a Digital ATSC Tuner and a Digital CABLE Tuner. To view HD Cable signals you will need the CABLE Tuner. You also need to be running Windows 7 or MacOSX.

5. Bruce

There are two types of TV Hardware. Cable Companies are switching from the older analog, to Digital Signals. Most TV Tuners are the old analog and can be bought for $20 to $100 dollars (USD)

The new DIGITAL CABLE TUNERS are now getting more common and the prices are now down to $200 dollars (USD) CETON is the best Digital Tuner and for $200 the card or USB Tuners have FOUR DIGITAL TUNERS so you can record up to FOUR HD CABLE CHANNELS at the same time.

If you have a cable box from your Cable Provider that they charge you $10-20 dollars a month to view on your TV, then the tuners will pay for themselves in about a year because you can return the cable box and save on fees.

If you only need a few TV stations then you can buy the cheaper alternative but the channel selection and picture quality is very limited.

6. Denis Popo

You other posters ignore totally what the the person was asking, she did not want to have to buy cable television, or a ton of hardware. The   person wanted to know if they are any cable channels on the Internet to watch for free even if you don't have cable tv...The answer is, there are a few, but not the ones me and you are looking for. Mostly news channels. The software you can download called -TV on your computer, some are free... Has some of the cable channels worth watching, you might wanna check them out. 

• Munna

Hey Denis! Did you really read the question or is it 'YOU the one ignoring.... When Samir wrote "connect my TV to my cable service" Did it make sense to you at all or is it That You " 'Ignored' Totally" what he was asking..

• Matt.Smith

I think the answers posted below are the right response to the question. I believe this person is asking how to connect a current cable service to their PC so the computer can serve as a television. 

7. Wplouffe

buy a slingbox

8. Karkala Nayak

Hello samir,
    You Need the Tuner. to watch CABLE TV on your computer, you'll need a TV Tuner card (or a USB-based tuner device), which gives you a TV-in connection.
    You can buy on ebay::Here is the link... 

There are so many of PC TV tuners available, I suggest checking Circuit City's website (they have a good selection) and comparing them, along with their user reviews.Here is the link... 

The software is usually provided in the box when you buy the Tuner..and there are also Nvidia tuners( which are much better than most as it is quite integrated with intel and software is more OK with windows operating systems

There is free program that you may use to watch your programs after installing all the hardware's here is the link its is known as NextPVR

I would suggest you better buy a brand new TV because the money you spend on these hardware, that money is sufficient to buy a good Television. Decide carefully...

I hope it helped....

• Jay.0

You are right about tv tuner,
      But you do not need to buy a new tv if,
      if you have a tv with cable connection in a room, and want to watch it on your pc, which is in another room.

if you are an old customer of your cable operator, you might get a free second connection.

and the hardware (tuner) does not cost much.

• Karkala Nayak

You are right Jay.0.Didn't think of it.I have removed the words back..

Hello, I think your best option would be hardware not software based.  You would have to install a capture card in your computer and connect cable to it.  You would have to use some sort of splitter though.