How can I watch .avi movies on a DVD Player?
Question by surani /

I want to view .avi video files on my DVD player. I have tried many of the converter software which converts .avi to .dvd, but it takes too much time for conversion and the size enlarges by 3 fold. Please suggest a solution.

• Buy Blank DVD

Burn .avi movies on your DVD or convert it to .mp4 format so that it could be playable on your DVD player.

• Chiedu7

Buy a DVD player that has the DIVX symbol on it.
    That means it can play AVI files on the DVD player!
    Or else use AVS Video converter to convert the AVI to DVD format, then burn to DVD as DVD not data

• Jessica Cam W.

Here are two relevant guides:

How To Create A DVD From Any Video File (using the free DVDFlick)
    Create DVDs Out Of AVI Or Other Media Files (using FAVC)

Like Josh said, you might be able to save some time if you skip the conversion and hook up your TV with your computer via cables (preferably HDMI if your computer has the port).

• Josh Fox

The reason for the time and size involved in converting an AVI to DVD is that the encoding program usually does its job based on the length of the video vs. quality for the target disk size. Since a standard blank DVD is 4.4GB, that is the standard target size. Regularly, a DVD recorder will record to this based on time. 2 Hours for best quality, 4 hours for medium, and 6 hours for low quality. If you start with an already compressed file like an AVI, every time it is converted after, it loses quality. The larger DVD output from the AVI, the closer the quality. If you really want a DVD output that is the same as the 700MB AVI, it will be mostly garbled pixels that can barely be watched.The time involved in converting it to DVD is because of the extreme difference in the video format. The fastest and better of the programs I’ve used before are ConvertXtoDVD, DVDStyler, or Nero Vision, although Nero Vision isn’t quite as nice as the others. These programs will still take over an hour or two for a full length movie depending on your hardware.If you would rather save conversion time, I would suggest using a digital media player like the Western Digital Media Player (WDTV), which is a device I use myself and love. I don’t have either of these, but a PS3 or Xbox360 can handle most of these files from what I’ve heard. If you have an high definition TV, chances are, you can hook up a computer to it through either VGA or DVI/HDMI. It could be a good time to setup an home theater PC (HTPC) with XBMC, Boxee, ElementPC, or another media center software.EDIT: Sorry, I said Nero Recode, when I meant Nero Vision.