How can I watch 3D content on my PlayStation 3D display unit which is connected as a monitor to my laptop?

Saravana Kumar R October 6, 2012

I have a HP Pavilion dm4 2180us laptop and I have connected it to a PS3 3D display unit as my monitor. I am unable to see 3D content though I followed all the steps mentioned in the PS3 3D display unit manual. Do I need to install any special driver files??

1. Muo TechGuy

Given that your laptop doesn't actually have a 3d capable discrete graphics chip, this is basically impossible. Your laptop has whst's called a "built-in" graphic card, probably something by Intel.

You would need third party drivers such as http://www.tridef.com if it wasn't an NVidia chip - but these still need a discrete gfx chip. So no, sorry, not possible.

• Muo TechGuy

Actually, you *try* the Tridef drivers, but even if they do support built-in gfx, the performance will be horrendous. Doing 3D is like running the same game twice; if you can't run a good 3d game normally, you certainly can't in 3d.

As for movies, bluray decoding also needs pretty good gfx. You could play downloaded movies though, if the monitor supports SBS format. There's no additional processing needed there - it's just a half resolution video for each eye, displayed side by side in one frame.

Does your display driver on the laptop support 3D?

3. Harish Jonnalagadda

Should be working right out of the box, that is what it was designed for! Check connecting with another HDMI and if that does not work, Sony call center would be the best bet.

did you checked Stereoscopic 3D setting of Nvidia, if it is not there then perhaps you will not be able to do what you want.

there is TriDef 3D , it has trial period you can ry if you wish
    http://www.tridef.com/