Was my Hotmail account hacked?
Question by Anonymous /

I received an email from the account-security-noreply@account.microsoft.com providing me with a code to verify my account. The email says that ‘If you didn’t request this code, someone might be trying to use your account’. Does it mean that someone accessed my emails?

Can I find out who did it?

• Oron J

The bottom line is you should pay attention, but there’s little else you need to do. To add to what Hovsep & Susendeep have already said, there are basically two possibilities:

1. It is a fake email. It is trivially easy to pretend to be someone else, but I don’t think this is the case here (I’ll not go into the reasons just now).
    2. It is a genuine message. All this means is that someone tried to log on using your username and the wrong password, and from a different IP address than yours. This could have been you (trying to log on from someone else’s computer and entering the wrong password for some reason), it could have been a hacker, or it could have been an accidental login.
    This last one is worth explaining. If there are two people, called Joseph Bloggs, and they both have Microsoft accounts, their usernames may well be joebloggs and jobloggs. One could easily mistype and use the other one’s username by mistake. Their password will of course be wrong (for that that username), so they’ll probably retype it a few times before noticing their mistake or just giving up… As far as Microsoft is concerned, this is someone trying to log in with the wrong credentials, and from a different IP address than their normal logons – all the halmarks of hacking! This is why they would notify you, but of course, neither you nor Microsoft would normally know at this stage whether there really was an attempt to compromise your account.

As you can see, the indication that someone has tried to hack into your account basically means that they weren’t able to, and therefore there’s little you need to do. The only situation where you should act is if you have some other reason to think someone is trying to hack into your account (or has already done so), in which case you should change your password immediately.

• Susendeep D

Looking into the sender’s link of the email you are talking of,it seems to be legitimate.Now,regarding the message you received,it might be the case that some of your friend or relative has been using your email address as a secondary account so that whenever their account is inaccessible to them,the email provider can send recovery codes to your email.

So,read the email carefully to find out the email address being recovered.If it’s one of your friend’s or relatives,then contact them and if it’s true,then help them out to recover their account.

Your emails are safe if the above mentioned scenario is the case.

it can be spam email