How can I wake my Windows laptop from sleep or hibernation through the mouse or keyboard?

Brooks Lampe September 9, 2010

When at my work station, I plug my laptop into an external monitor, my printer, and an external mouse or keyboard. I can set the lid to “do nothing” when I close it, so I can close the laptop and keep working. However, if I let it go to sleep, hibernate or shut down, the only way to wake it is if I open the lid and/or push the power button. In fact, I have to open the laptop, otherwise pressing the power button does nothing.

Ideally, I’d like to wake the laptop from sleep with external devices, e.g. using the mouse or keyboard. But I am willing to compromise, e.g. waking by pushing the power button only. As long as I don’t have to open lid, which forces me to keep it on the desk, taking up space. Thanks!

1. Mitch

My external keyboard does not have a sleep button on it, and when I follow your procedures I cannot find a power management tab for my Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard. I followed the option where you do not allow the computer to turn off any of the usb root hubs and still the laptop must be opened to turn it on.

I'm running Windows 7, a Dell Latitude E6400(School) and a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

Any helpful hints at how to make the keyboard wake the computer up.

Mitch

Mitch,

I recommend that you ask a new question.

2. Bblampe

Got it. Found Power Managment in USB Root Hub Properties AND had to enable USB sleep/suspend in BIOS. Great job thanks!

Hi

change the bios settings to ' default bios settings ' To resolve this issue, see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the manufacturer of your computer for more information about configuring the BIOS.

A conflict between the BIOS power management and Windows power management is the most common cause of such wake-up failure. Experiment with different settings in the BIOS to see if that might solve the problem. For example, a PC might not wake up if Advanced Power Management (APM) is enabled in the Power Options of Control Panel, the BIOS is configured to suspend the computer, and the BIOS time-out value is less than the value configured in Windows. To correct this, you would set the BIOS time-out to be higher than the Windows time-out.

1) Click the Start Menu and then right click “Computer” and select “Properties”.
    2) In the new window select the “Device Manager” link that is in the upper left hand corner.
    3) In the Device Manager window look down towards the bottom of the window for “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”. Click the arrow to the left of this section.
    4) In the drop down menu look for any instances of “USB Root Hub”. When you find the first one right click on it and select “Properties”.
    5) In the USB Root Hub Properties window look for the tab in the upper right that says “Power Management”.
    6) Click on “Power Management” and uncheck the option that says “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. Then click “OK”.
    7) Continue to do this for every instance of “USB Root Hub” in device manager.
    http://www.computer-how-to-guide.com/windows-software/windows-7-standby-sleep-hibernation/

4. Brooks Lampe

I cannot find the Power Management tab on either my external mouse or keyboard. In fact, I can't find that tab on any of my devices in the Device Manager property dialog boxes. Am I missing something?

5. Bblampe

Thanks. The second paragraph is more germane to my issue. I am not having issues powering down/waking the laptop using the power button. It would be useful if there was a setting that would allow me to wake the laptop with the lid closed, but I cannot find this.

Also, you said the wake feature for the external mouse/keyboard may not be available on all models. That's understandable. I have a Microsoft external keyboard/mouse, but when I go to the properties dialog box in Device Manager for these devices, as you say, I do not see a Power Management tab. I only see "general," "driver," and "details." In fact, I cannot find a "Power Management" tab on any of the dialog boxes for any of my devices. I'm using a Dell Studio laptop and Windows 7.

HiLook for a Suspend or Hibernate key. Some laptops have special keys or buttons for one or both, but the user might not have noticed them if he normally uses some other wake-up method.Try pressing and holding the PC’s power button for five seconds or more. On a PC that's configured to Suspend or Hibernate with a press of the power button, holding down the power button will usually reset and reboot it.Most laptops have an [Fn] key you can press in conjunction with other keys to control laptop-specific features, including power management.As a last resort, remove all batteries, wait a few minutes, and then replace the batteries.To change this setting, type in Device Manager into the start menu search box. setting the keyboard and mouse to wake up 1)1. Open Device Manger by typing either devmgmt.msc or device manager in Start menu search area and then hitting enter.2)2. In the list of hardware categories, find the keyboard or mouse that you want to activate waking your computer.3)3. Double-click on the entry see the Properties dialog box.4)4. Switch to Power Management tab and check the option named Allow this device to wake the computer5)5. Click Ok, and you are done! Please note that this feature is not supported by all hardware manufactures.