How can I wake my Windows laptop from sleep or hibernation through the mouse or keyboard?

Brooks Lampe September 9, 2010

When at my work station, I plug my laptop into an external monitor, my printer, and an external mouse or keyboard. I can set the lid to “do nothing” when I close it, so I can close the laptop and keep working. However, if I let it go to sleep, hibernate or shut down, the only way to wake it is if I open the lid and/or push the power button. In fact, I have to open the laptop, otherwise pressing the power button does nothing.

Ideally, I’d like to wake the laptop from sleep with external devices, e.g. using the mouse or keyboard. But I am willing to compromise, e.g. waking by pushing the power button only. As long as I don’t have to open lid, which forces me to keep it on the desk, taking up space. Thanks!