How can I wake my Linux laptop from suspend using any key?

Jerry May 19, 2011

Currently, I can only wake my HP laptop by pressing the flashing power button. How can I get it to wake by moving the mouse or pressing a key instead?

Linux Mint 11
HP Pavillion
Logitech Wireless Mouse

Thanks!

Jerry

1. Jerry

Thanks, Danny. I could not find a setting in my BIOS. When I had Win7, I could wake from standby with mouse shake, so I don;t think it's a BIOS issue.  :(

Jerry,

were you able to figure out a solution for your question and did Danny point you into the right direction? Please let us know!

3. Danny Stieben

That's a great question Jerry!

Right on my laptop I am fine with using the power button to wake up the system, but I see why you might want to use the mouse or keyboard. I believe the problem lies not in the operating system settings, but rather the BIOS settings. There should be a handful of options where you can say Yes to any that say "Wake by Mouse" or "Wake by PS/2", things like that. You'll most likely find them in a Power screen. If you can't easily find one for a keyboard, just enable them all and see if it'll work.

In case you're wondering why this is a BIOS feature and not a OS feature, it is because when the OS tells the system to go into standby/sleep, the system returns to running only its primitive functions, while keeping the OS in RAM in a dormant state. Therefore the BIOS/motherboard needs to know of a method of when to wake up (such as pressing a key) in order to run through other primitive functions to restore the session from RAM.

Good luck!