Is there a volume mixer to control sound output of single programs in Mac OSX?

Kim May 25, 2010

I am looking for an app that works with Snow Leopard and allows the user to control the audio outputs (nothing fancy, just the volume) from different applications. I tried searching Google, but couldn’t find what I want.

Anyone knows if such an app exist? I am looking for something similar to the Windows 7 volume mixer, e.g. to mute Firefox without silencing the whole system.

Many thanks!!

1. Vallemanz

I want one as well, how come nobody solved this yet?

Unfortunately, it's not free.

3. Markorbit

Doesn't work with Lion.

4. Harpo

dosens't work with Google Chrome

5. Djmontroni

Joesoft.com
    Hear
    It's an amazing audio program for Mac. It includes a Mixer, which is amazing. It also does all sorts of audio effects. It changes the sound to however you want to hear it. Right now, my Macbook Pro sounds like surround sound. Just because of Hear.

6. Max

yep, same

7. Eddie

same

8. Greig

I am also looking for the same.

9. Johan Ylinenjarvi

I'd love such an app aswell....

10. Stefan Wessels

I would be interested in this too, I do a lot of animation in Flash (that has sound added), I really miss not being able to turn down the sound for individual apps, after having it before, I don't want to go without it!

Kim,

did you find a suitable app in the meantime? Please let us know what worked for you. Thank you!

If you really gotta change or mute the volume in one particular program in OS X, here's how I do it:

- Route the audio through a sound capture program like Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro (Ambrosia's Wire Tap Pro should work as well)
    - Adjust the audio or hit the "Mute" button

This is slightly more complicated than using Windows' mixer, but it also allows for recording of sounds on a system or application basis, and dozens of audio effects filters (narrowband equalizers, echo and reverb, compressor/limiters, noise reducers, special effects, etc.) are available and included.

• Lajinnsolo

THANK you for this. It's really very simple, and my program is muted at last! My only worry is that I'll need to pay for it at some point... my hope is that, since I'm only muting the sound, it won't be necessary.

Hi Kim,

I think every app that create sound will have a volume control on its own. You can just use it to modify the individual volume level.

But regarding the app that mimics Win 7 volume mixer, you might want to look at Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource.

• Kim

hi thurana,

thanks for the suggestion but soundsource is not quite the app that im looking for. i guess i just have to wait until someone come up with an app like that.

thanks a lot for answering!

• Philippe

have a look into Soundflower. If you route all your audio to Soundflower, then you might be able to specify a different chanel for every program running... I will try it when I have a bit more time, let us know if you succeed !