Is my volume manager causing Windows to freeze and how can I fix it?

James April 18, 2011

My computer this last week has frozen up a few times. This never happens. I look in my system event viewer. I see that at the times it freezes up volume manager has a “crash dump initialization failed.”

Here are the details it gives.
_________________________________
+ System

– Provider

[ Name] volmgr

– EventID 46

[ Qualifiers] 49156

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

– TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-04-18T01:43:07.345200000Z

EventRecordID 116181

Channel System

Computer My PC

Security

– EventData

\Device\HarddiskVolume1
0000000001000000000000002E0004C001100000010000C000000000000000000000000000000000

——————————————————————————–

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 00000000 00000001 00000000 C004002E
0008: 00001001 C0000001 00000000 00000000
0010: 00000000 00000000

In Bytes

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ……..
0008: 00 00 00 00 2E 00 04 C0 …….À
0010: 01 10 00 00 01 00 00 C0 …….À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ……..
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ……..

________________________________
Please help

It sounds like you have a hard cap on the size of your pagefile that is less than the amount of installed memory on your system and your system is attempting to do a complete memory dump due to an error elsewhere in the system. Or if your system has a lot of RAM, it may have been configured to not use a pagefile at all, in which case any attempt to do a dump will do this to your system. Enable a pagefile, preferably on your C: drive if it is not done already, then either set your maximum pagefile size to a value greater than the amount of installed RAM on your system or choose a smaller dump option (such as a kernel-only dump).

Do you have any VM, virtual clone soft, Sonic software, RollBackRX, returnil...on your pc?

Run the following from an elevated CMD prompt
    sc config afs start= disabled

then reboot

Note that the command that I requested output for is different than the initial command you ran.

sc qc afs

This will provide some details about any service known as afs on the system. (Rather than changing the configuration.)

(Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315270/en-us

I am 18 and I am pretty darn good with computers. So NO, my "Children" will not be helping me. Thanks...
      I have yet to check into the page file possible solution and wont be able to till later today. I already have my pagefile set to the highest I can put it manually though. I have 4gb installed ram anyways.
      It doesnt happen durring high load or causing high tempuratures... my first guess. It doesn't happen with a paticular software... my second guess. I searched google for solutions and I read about a hdd errors... So I ran Chkdsk. I have ran all of my virus and malware scanners... and nothing there. Its not at set times either. Like every 34 hours or whatever.
      I can track this problem in the event manager also. It is not one single isolated event. If you didnt catch it up above, this has never happened before till now.

Glad that you are very good with your pc, sometimes things happens in the pc and the only solution will be format instal window or repair and I know its along procedure if one has lot of datas to backup, hope that your problem will be fixed soon.

Goto Control PanelSystem and MaintenanceSystem
        Click on "Advanced System Settings" on the left panel
        Under "Startup and Recovery" select "Settings"
        Make sure you have a check mark beside "Write and event to the system log"

Clean Boot
        I would suggest you to boot the computer in clean boot that is disable non Microsoft services. The purpose of disabling non Microsoft services is to check if any of these services is causing the issue. Follow the steps below to boot the computer in clean boot:

Perform clean boot and check if you have the issue.
        1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
        If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
        2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
        3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
        4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
        5. Click OK.
        6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
        7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
        1.Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
        If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
        2.On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
        3.When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

The Error isn't exactly related to your problem rather a result of your computer freezing up completely and making it impossible for Windows to create a Crash Dump.

It's more like a notifications that "something has gone wrong and Windows is not able to provide data that could be analyzed".

As for fixing your problem it would be good to know when the freezes happen.
    Is it after a certain time? Does it happen when you are using a certain program? Does it happen when your computer is at high load?

A freeze can be caused by anything from Software, Driver, System or Hardware defect.

First I would control the computers temperatures e.g. using HW Monitor
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I also agree with FIDELIS that it might be related to the Paging File.

Chances are that Windows is trying to page memory to a bad sector on the Hard Drive. So I would try to run CheckDisk with all options enabled:

1. right-click your Hard Drive and select Properties
      2. click on the Tools tab
      3. select Check now...
      4. select all options

Windows will tell you that it's not able to run the test and schedule it for the next reboot. Confirm it and restart your computer.

Hello, usually this error is caused by the page file size(virtual memory). You might want to do the following to fix your problem:

-- Click on start key + Pause/Break (the same time)
    -- on menu, select Advanced
    -- under Performance, click on settings
    -- select the Advanced tab
    -- click on modify/change
    -- Check the setting for recommended minimun and maximun memory for paging file when paging file is managed by windows (make a note, do not forget)
    -- uncheck automatically manage paging file size for all drives
    -- select the drive where your virtual memory is set (usually C: )
    -- select custom size
    -- enter recommended minimun paging file (same as before)
    -- enter recommended maximun paging file (same as before)
    -- click on set
    -- click on ok
    -- Restart Computer

Ok, now you have to make sure to events are written to system log:

-- Click on start
    -- Control Panel
    -- System and Maintenance
    -- System
    -- Click on Advanced System Settings
    -- on Startup and Recovery, select Settings
    -- check mark Write and event to the system log

The virtual memory/paging file size is dependent on the amount of RAM you have installed on your system. Hope it helps,