How can I make VLC my default media player in Windows Vista?

Abraham July 18, 2010

How can you set VLC media player to be the default media player in Windows Vista? It used to be great in Windows XP, but when I switched to Windows Vista I cannot get it to be the default.

I have already right clicked on an mp3 and selected it to open only with VLC as the standard and gone Control Panel-> Default Programs and set it through there, but even so when I select a group of songs and right click on them, it only shows play in Windows Media Player, and the “Play All” Button only plays all with WMP.

How can I get it so that the Play All Button plays them in VLC and so that when I select a group of songs I can right click on them and select play with VLC? Thanks.

2. Jessica Cam W.

Hmm, VLC should enable a right-click option for media files and display the 'Play with VLC' option in Windows Explorer IF you did two things: You checked the Context Menu checkboxes during the standard installation (e.g. you didn't get the portable version of VLC), AND in Windows Explorer, you chose VLC as the default Media Player. http://i25.tinypic.com/rr1l5e.jpg

If you don't remember whether you did or not, you could just uninstall and re-install again.

Try setting it under Preferences in VLC. In the Preference box, there will surely be an option to make it the default music player.