Do I have a virus and if I do how can I remove it?

Jordan April 14, 2012

I seem to have picked up a virus. Sometimes when I try to go to another site, I constantly get “this page appears to be broken” message. I’ve been told that this is a virus. How can I safely remove it? I’m using an HP G50 laptop with Windows Vista.

1. Aniket Singh

if some file are not deleting and u think that its a virus than switch to safe mode
    and try to delete.......and if u r feeling that there are some more virus than u can go for any antivirus software to remove it

2. Noone

Its possible you have installed a rogue toolbar or similar (free Smileys) which in turn may have hijacked your home page & search. Though pretty much harmless there are side effects like 404 errors etc plus you are earning them money every time you search through them & have possibly opened your computer to back doors, Trojans, botnets etc..

Though not technically a virus this form of intrusion is more common place than actual virus/malware. Sometimes an uninstall/disable of toolbar is enough, though you will have to manually reset your search provider & home page, also worth checking are proxy settings.

Then again I would also do @ha14's suggestions too just to be safe but use a combination of all of them not just a safe mode scan.

3. Bradnetwork

Im so happy i threw all my windows computers in the bin and bought an Apple Mac

4. Imniroj

try peerblock software dude

I have to agree @IndronilMondal:disqus 

The "This page appears to be broken" problem is often related to an issue with the browser cache, DNS, network or the internet connection.

- try clearing the browser cache or using an entirely different browser

- try different DNS servers (at best the one suggested by your service provider)

- try resetting the IP stack of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 

- try a different network connection (wired/wifi) and updating the network card driver

Lastly, it can also be a sign of a problem with your modem or land line. For example [for DSL connections] if your land line is experiencing a lot of CRC and HEC errors this could cause DNS queries to be broken resulting in the same message in your browser.

6. Indronil Mondal

now every problem that is shown is not due to virus..
    that might be a problem in your web browser try a different web browser

7. Sri Vastav Reddy

Mr, Jordan,

A year back i have the same problem and Answer too ..
    Download avast internet security (trial version) "works same as register version" after downloading update it (if u want to update) and reboot u'r PC.
    After Rebooting in normal mode open avast and select [ scan computer] in it select [boot time scan] now click on [ schedule now ] and Restart the computer.
    After restarting AVAST will continue it's Scanning, after completion it will restart automatically.

while scanning it will display a lot of messages and virus in u'r PC,
    it will ask if you want to skip, delete or move to chest__select Move to chest for all or (delete all).

NOTE :  
    {In this process there is no need of safe mode}

i know this will work,
    hope the same for u   ^.^

If ha14's suggestions don't work, get a "recovery CD" from AVG or Kaspersky, boot from that and scan your disc. These are free discs which you can download as ISO images and burn onto the CD using appropriate software. They contain cut down version of Linux and the AV software. It is a bit of a hassle to prepare them, but they can fix things that you simply can't access while Windows is running.

boot to safe mode and scan with 

malwarebytes antimalware
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Superantispyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

clamwin
    http://www.clamwin.com/

you can also use windows restore point to roll back in time at the point where everything was fine.