Can I use Virtual Router on my computer to create a WiFi hotspot for my Kindle Fire?

Kenneth Lawson November 19, 2011

I recently bought a Kindle Fire and need WiFi. I have a broadband modem, but it doesn’t support WiFi. My laptop is a HP Pavilion g7-1075dx with a Broadcom 4313GN WiFi adapter. Will virtual router work on my computer?

1. ramesh

i too have the same prmeone please reply to it?

Jeff is never dead wrong about anything. Take that back and your salvation will be preserved.

3. Austin

Simple as this,
    You would be creating an ad-hoc network. The kindle fire's hardware doesn't support ad-hoc network connections. Sorry man.

Hello, you could check the compatibility list.  If your wireless adapter is in the list, chances are it will work.  Also make sure that your hardware has the most up to date drivers:

http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Supported%20Devices&referringTitle=Documentation

Contrary to Jeff I would say it is possible.

Of course the Broadcom chip in your Pavilion is a standard 802.11b/g/n wireless chipset. Therefor assuming you are running Windows 7 [which is required for Virtual Router to work] it should be possible.

Long story short ~ you will simply have to try it out. Either it will work or you will get an error of some sort which you are welcome to report back for further help.

• ken

Tried to use the virual router. It worked on time but failed to connect the next time I used it. I kept getting a could not start error.  Not sure where to go from here. The broadband modem I have is a US Cellular um185 and they told me that it didnot have wifi. Cable is not available in this area. I have Dish for TV.  Thanks for the info.

Hello, you could try connectify.  The free version will do:

http://www.connectify.me/

6. Jeff

Hi Kenneth,

Your laptop's WiFi adapter is for connecting to a WAP, not relaying the connection to a WiFi enabled device. Even if it could, without a WAP to connect to on your laptop, tethering to your Kindle isn't possible. 

I'm curious, how a broadband modem isn't compatible with WiFi. You need a wireless router. Once you have a wireless router, connect your modem to the router. You will then have a wireless network. 

- Jeff