How do I view who is using my wireless network?

Trevor Loomis January 25, 2012

I am running a spare router (D-Link 524) in my dorm to give people an alternative to the weak wireless network my school? provides. How may I view if it is going to good use and others are indeed using it?

1. Jay.0

Try :
    Use "net view" command in command prompt.

2. Tommy45

That's what Cris suggests basically

Hello, if it is an open connection, chances are other people are accessing it.  After following directions posted before to access your router, you could check  the logs all activity in your router.  Some info should be there, like if it is an incoming or outgoing connection.  If it is an outgoing connection, it should show you the IP address it connected to.  Then, you could try using a whois utility to find whose addresses those are.  Also, depending on configuration, under lease section, you could also see the name and MAC address of the computer and when the lease expires.  

If you want to see more information, you could use the log reporting.  Here is a configuration page of your router.  Log report should be at the bottom of article:

4. Chris Hoffman

After you sign into the web interface, you should be able to click Status and then click Wireless to view a list of connected devices.

Log into your routers gateway address and view your DHCP table. You can find your gateway address by going to Start -> Run/Search and typing "cmd.exe". When the command prompt opens, type "ipconfig" and look for "gateway". Next to that will be an address, simply enter that into your browser's URL bar as if it were a website.