How can I view pictures by date taken in Windows 7?

Luci December 4, 2011

I can sort photos in Windows 7 by date taken, but when I want to view them in Windows Photo Viewer or Irfan View, they will not show in the same order as did the files sorted by date in the folder. Any idea what’s wrong?

Thanx Luci

1. Paul

how do I sort photos by date in windows 7

2. RayInLV

Still trying to be constructive, 

I just Sorted a directory of pictures by size, opened the first in the list by double clicking it and Windows Photo Viewer worked just fine displaying in size order.   I used size because it was easily and obviously not in either Alpha or Date order.I don't know anything about Ifan. But I stand by my original statement as far as Windows Photo Viewer.

There is a possibility that some setting in Registry controls it further, but on my machine it works as I thought it does when I posted my comment ...

Again so sorry for anything that might have caused confusion here.  I did miss the (I can sort by date).   For that I am sorry...

3. passerby

I have just figured this one out. The issue is lying in whether one is using windows live photo gallery or the windows photo viewer, as the former one lacks the capability to do the things the other poster and I have mentioned.

4. passerby

I have the same problem here.
    Sure I can sort the pictures in windows explorer. But when I try to view it in the windows photo viewer, the ordering is always going by the name of the file.
    I recall that when I sort the files in my old computer, the photo viewer will pick up that change and display accordingly. But that capability has been missing in my new computer (both are using windows 7). I wonder what setting that has been changed to cause that.

5. Stivinn Aura

Ray, did you manage to solve your problem?

6. RayInLV

You can sort by the date the picture was taken using native capacity in Windows Explorer, and it is easy...

In Detail View, Right click on the column headings
    If you are in a directory configured as one that contains photos then the "Date Taken" will be an option in the list

Otherwise Click More at bottom of list, then you will find Date Taken down a ways..  

Check the box to Add to columns and sort away...   There are many more columns to use too.

• Stivinn Aura

Ray, please go through the question thoroughly. Sorting the pictures isn't a problem, but viewing them in the sorted list-order is. For me, without renaming the pictures, sorting alone doesn't solve the problem.

• RayInLV

So Sorry.   I never had that issue.   Please accept my humble appologies...

7. Stivinn Aura

Here's how:

1. Right-click in a folder, choose "Sort By" > "More..."

2. In the list that comes up, tick "Date Taken" and click OK.

3. Again, Right-click in the folder, choose "Sort By" > "Date Taken"

In Irfan View How to sort pictures by date-taken
    Open Thumbnails window and load a folder. See thumbnails sort menu, use Sort
    by EXIF date
    http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q11

Photo Viewer will follow the order that you have sorted your photos by in Windows Explorer.

maybe you have to instruct Irfan View to not use Photo Viewer as the default

sort it by date modified.

it should genrerally follow the order of folder.

there is a software called acd see which will allow you to mange this.

you can also see your images in media players like window media plyer etc.
    and use their sort options.

in case if it is displaying images by name.
    you can sort all the images by date.
    then select all
    right click.
    choose rename.
    give any name. for example abc.
    all the images will be named as abc01 abc02 abc 03.

now you can go to picture viewer.and they should appear according to name=date order.

of course it will rename all the images, so  create a duplicate copy if you need the names.