How can I view iPod output on a monitor?

Dr Evan Stark PhD April 11, 2010

How would I be able to use my iPod with its Apple iPod dock to display movies on an 20″ Apple Cinema Monitor?

1. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

Buy this cable (http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/321/productID/1622) and plug it into the monitor - you might also need an adapter to convert the RCA signal to a VGA or other signal

Evan,

I have neither an iPod, nor an Apple Cinema monitor. But doesn't the monitor contain Firewire and USB ports? You should be able to connect it through these ports.

Apple has a guide on how to connect the iPod dock to a computer via Firewire or USB.

If this doesn't work, please provide us with more details where you're struggling and whether there are any error messages.

• Dr Evan Mitchell Stark PhD

Hi Tina.

Thank you for your reply. I came down with pneumonia and only now am getting back into things, hence, the delay in getting back to you.

Forgive me if I was unclear. I'm aware of ways to connect my dock to a computer. What I want to do is connect my dock to my monitor WITHOUT a computer in between, i.e., ipod/dock --> monitor. My hunch is that this is impossible, because it would be to connect analog output to digital input. The hunch is strengthened by there being no way to connect, directly or with some sort of adapter, RCA component output into Apple Display input. (RCA male into Apple display female.) But in case I'm mistaken and you know a way, please let me know. As it stands now, I'm about to fork over $167 to by a 19" Sharp LCD HDTV, which accepts the RCA-plug output from the ipod dock.

Thanks for your help.

Warmly,
      Evan