What version of WINE do I use to run Windows Applications on a Mac?
Question by Lisa G, Cobb /

I read the article, went to the Wine HQ Binaries page for the download. My question is, what version would I download to use on Mac OSX (Lion) for use with Windows applications? There are so many and I don’t know which one to use. Can you please tell me which version I would use on a Mac for windows applications?

I absolutely use MS Money 2007 Deluxe (I have all of my credit/loans/etc. accounts and checking book on there), Stamps.com software (for printing my own postage), Versacheck Business Suite (To print out my own checks, labels, business cards, etc.), and I use Printmaster programs as well.  I also use Microsoft Office 2007 (Blue edition?) for everything from spreadsheets and documents to Outlook.  I also use Windows Live mail on my desktop so I don’t have to use a browser to get my mail.    I also use Anytime Organizer.   I think that my Brother PtTouch labeler may work with it, but not sure and my Brother fax machine as well.  My HP printer has software.  I;m sure that I can get google chrome for mac as well as last pass for mac too.

Thank you again for all of the suggestions and answer to my question.  I appreciate it.  I just don’t know if I am cut out to be a mac person after being a pc person for years on end now.

No idea what stamps.com is, pretty sure you can do that online though without software. 

Chrome, yes it is on mac too. 

Office -> Use Apple Pages, much better. I dont use Numbers myself though.  (http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/)

Live Mail -> Can be imported into Apple Mail as easily as any other email account, you dont need to use MS software for that.  (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/99551-how-do-i-set-up-mail-sync-my-hotmail-account.html)

Organizer – no idea what that is. 
      Brother Labelling software – give up on that, very unlikely it has a Mac version. 
      HP Printer – You dont need software for that, printers just work in Macs anyway. 
      Printmaster – again, Apple Pages is far superior for both simple word processing and desktop publishing. 

Money – there are some money softwares, but I cant comment on them as they’re all designed for US accounts, and the UK uses a different banking interface. As far as I know, MS stopped releasing MS Money anyway, but you can certainly get something that will import its data on osx. (http://www.jumsoft.com/money/)

Hope that gives you a start. 

Thanks James.  I live in the US, so I have no idea what is used in the UK as well.   To fill you in, Stamps.com allows me to print postage directly from my computer to my printer.

Office 2007 has many programs not just excel and word, but Outlook, Powerpoint and Publisher as well as others.  

Good to hear about live mail and Google Chrome.

Brother P-Touch Labeling software I use to make labels for things around the house as well as for my husband.

Printmaster I use for greeting cards, Graduation announcements, business cards, etc.  I use this program frequently.

From what I hear, there are not very good money softwares for mac that even come close to Microsoft Money.  I have been using this software for years and years.

I also use VersaCheck for printing my own checks, as the credit union said that it was perfectly fine to do that and it saves me time and money from ordering them from the bank.

So, as you can see, I use my pc every single day for various programs and features.   I just am not sure that switching to a mac would be a worthwhile thing to do.  I still have to get used to the whole interface of mac.

Thank you again for your assistance and feedback on my concerns.  It has been a re-learning process using a mac.

I agree with James…

In addition to Apple iWorks there is also Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 or OpenOffice (free).

Anyzime Organizer – it depends on what you actually do with it. You can schedule your days, have alarms and reminders for Birthdays, Anniversaries and stuff like that within iCal (ships with Mac OS X), Notes are in Apple Mail and you can also find a Stickies app within the Application folder.

You can also find plenty of free Apps for To-Do Lists and World clocks within the Mac App Store, maybe even as a Dashboard widget.

For all the above you might also be interested in Jumsoft Relationship which kind of puts all of them within a single application.

PTouch driver and Editor can be found in the Brother Solutions Center

As for Versacheck Business Suite and Printmaster I can’t give you any pointers ~ sorry.

Anyways, in general I still suggest to do virtualization instead of WINE. Parallels is great even for non-technicians (if you will) and once Windows is up and running you can install any Windows software without concerning yourself with configuration or stuff like that – it’s Windows, just virtual running on your Mac.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I am a newbie with a mac and there are just some windows based applications that I need, but don’t have alot of hd space or ram, so I was trying to avoid using bootcamp or a vm.   From what I read on how to install Wine, it seems so complicated, but I didn’t want to have to pay alot for crossover.   I really like my pc, but am tired of the updates/virus protection/etc, and wanted to use a mac.  Wondering now if I am making a serious mistake.  I may need to use a vm if I cannot integrate windows apps into mac osx.  (BTW:  Using a 2009 macbook pro model).

Well, if you can name a few examples we might be able to give you some alternatives native to Mac ~ at least you could try them out if they suite your needs.

WineHQ has no binary for Mac OS X. You can only try one of the 3rd party packages. Personally I wasn’t satisfied with any of the solutions (PlayOnMac, WineBottler, CrossOver) although they may have improved to a usable state by now. 

I recommend using VirtualBox (free) or the commercial alternatives VMware Fusion and Parallels.

Second that. Lisa – give up on Wine. It sucks, requires too much setup and faffing around. Use a viirtual machine program like Mike mentioned above. I use parallels myself, never had any problems with any apps. 

• Jeff Fabish

Actually, WineHQ recommends that you use Crossover which is available as a free trial. Code Weavers also offers Crossover Games, which as you may have guessed, is dedicated to running Windows games on OSX. Additionally, CodeWeavers provides Crossover Bundle which will give you the best of both applications and games. If you’re curious whether Crossover will support the application or game you desire, you can head over to their compatibility page.

– Jeff

Hello, you could also try Wineskin:

• Richard Carpenter

I would recommend PlayOnMac depending on what Application you would like to use. It uses WINE, but has a GUI and is much simpler to use. 

It has terrible reviews, and only runs a few apps. We declined to review it at MakeUseOf, which is quite rare. 

• Richard Carpenter

I have had decent luck with it, but I will not say it has not messed up on me, several times in fact. I had terrible luck running regular WINE in OSX so I tried several thing and liked PlayOnMac. If I had enough OS licenses I would Virtualize , but it is not worth the cost for me.