How do I verify that I am on my routers web based control panel?

sammib November 8, 2011

I am trying to fix something on my router. The instructions say to log in to the router with the default username and password. Then I need to verify that I am on the router’s web based control panel at routerlogin.net. It says if I see a certain site instead, this is a problem, and I need to contact them directly about the issue. How do I verify that I’m logged in to my router?

1. Sammib

Thanks for the replies.  I believe they missed part of the instructions, I logged into my router with my settting (not the link on the email - I emailed them about a problem), but didn't understand how to verify like they wanted. I ended up fixing the problem without doing what they wanted. My Netgear router is also linked with OpenDNS, which wasnt working correctly.  The router has been up and running for a couple of months, but just recently I have sorted out the OpenDNS. 

thanks for the advice
    Sammib

hello sammib, follow these steps:
    start menu>>run(serachbox)>>type cmd and hit enter to open command prompt.

type: ipconfig and hit enter

copy the default gateway (third), (right click and select mark to select and right click or enter to copy to clipboard)

type/paste it in addressbar  of your browser. hit enter

you will see your router's control panel.

enter username and password.

(the site you mentioned has a name like a phishing sort of site.)

• Ryan Dube

lol...Jay, that was exactly my first thought as well. Sounded like a scam.

yes. that's why I din't even open the site, but when I tried to open the site, nothing appeared. it does not even exist. :)
        may he confused some instructions, or there will be a section on the router's control panel which has a similar name.

update :the URL now redirects to netgear support, there is some fact in what he is saying. so the brand is netgear.

I agree.

You can find your router's address by going to Start -> Run/Search: "cmd.exe" without quotes and press enter. When the command prompt opens, type "ipconfig". A list will be displayed, find the adapter you're currently using and find "Default Gateway". This will be a numerical value. Type this address into your browser's URL field. 

As Ryan stated, please give us your router's specifications so we can assist you further.

That definitely is sketchy, but apparently the site is provided by netgear and simply redirects to 192.168.0.1 - I tried it at home and definintely legit:

"Some Netgear routers also support a feature that automatically redirects connections to its home page (http://192.168.0.1/) to http://routerlogin.com/. Netgear provides routerlogin.com (and routerlogin.net) as a service that gives router owners an alternative to remembering the IP address of their device."

• Jeff Fabish

There's got to be more going on behind the scenes than that, how much harder is it to just tell your buyers to go to their gateway directly?

Thanks for checking that out though. 

It's quite common for routers to redirect a hostname to it's local configuration. Some of them use TLDs designed for testing or local addresses, others use global TLDs like ".org, .net, .com" etc.

For example all Speedtouch devices using the default firmware can be accessed via http://speedtouch.lan

As James said this "feature" is often implemented to ease configuration.

Whenever you make a change to the config a script reloads the page. Now, if you change the IP of the router your browser will obviously not be able to refresh the page. Someone not too familiar with technology may think the router is dead and unplug it to death. So instead they offer access via a hostname which will always work, even after an IP change.

4. Ryan Dube

Sammib - a router typically comes with a standard login IP that you can use to connect to it (wired) when you first plug your PC into one of the network ports. The second half of your instructions involving routerlogin.net sound a bit confusing. What is the manufacturer/model of your router? Is it the first time you're setting it up - is it brand new?