Why is my DVD-writer not opening properly?

December 11, 2013

Hi, I read to your Six Steps To Help You Fix Common DVD Drive Errors Six Steps To Help You Fix Common DVD Drive Errors Six Steps To Help You Fix Common DVD Drive Errors Read More . I was able to open it with the help of a pin inserting in to the hole, but when I close it it won’t open automatically when the button is pressed.

Every time I need to use the pin and then open it manually. So, what should I do now? Earlier I had even tried using a lens cleaner CD to clean the lens when I had a problem playing the CD/DVD. So what should I do now?

Tarique,

Kindly mark your question as resolved by up-voting the best comment.

2. Alan W

Try this:
    Click on Start then Computer. Right Click on your DVD drive and select Open. Does it open?

• Tarique B

it was not opening ! i had tried that !!!

• Alan W

" I was able to open it with the help of a pin inserting in to the hole, but when I close it it won’t open automatically when the button is pressed.

Every time I need to use the pin and then open it manually. So, what should I do now? Earlier I had even tried using a lens cleaner CD to clean the lens when I had a problem playing the CD/DVD. So what should I do now?"

Nowhere in your post did you state that! I hope you get it sorted out but you wont get anymore help from me as I dont like people who are ungreatful and cannot write out their problem properly...

• Tarique B

thanks for all your suggestions :) and i could repair it :) i applied petroleum jelly after opening it... on the areas where the tray slides .. so it had become a little smooth ..then it opened by clicking the icon in the computer..and the best tip that i got is to prevent such problems from coming..we should always keep a cd inserted in the drive..if we tend to use the drive very less ! any random cd.... should always be in the drive..

Note -- i had not used my drive since an year i guess. and now its working prefect :D

• Tarique B

i think you have some confusion ! i said i could open with the help of pin only ! clicking on the icon also didint work. thats what i replied to your comment !! but now what i mean to say is i dont need any pin now !

My first question would be the one Oron asked:
    Is the drive actually working? Can you read or access CD/DVDs you insert?

If that is the case make sure you have closed ALL programs! Close everything, even your browser and whatever else is running and try to eject again. Some applications e.g. burning software, media player may take full control of the drives controller and prevent it from ejecting and sometimes applications which (should) have nothing to do with it lock it up.

Other then that the only troubleshooting "within" Windows I can think if would be a firmware update of the drive.

For a standard desktop drive (5.25" one) it's mostly the unlock mechanism that isn't working. So when you press the button the tray doesn't get unlocked and the motor can't eject it. That's where the pin comes into play: It manually unlocks the tray and pushes it out a bit.

Next time you press the button maybe get close to the drive and try to 'hear' what is happening. You can usually hear if the drive tries to eject the tray but gets stuck. In that case it's most likely a mechanical issue inside of the drive.

• Tarique B

yes, after i open it with the help of pin, i can play CD/DVDs . but i feel some extra noise though. and i tried opening with everything closed but it still sis not open. and yes when i try to open , it makes lots of noise as if it is desperate to get out ! i think the rubber band has worn out which helps in the mechanism of opening and closing ? and in device manager my dvd writer does show up without any error

• Jan F

Try going through the Support KB Hovsep posted. If the error still persists I think we can pretty much assume it is a mechanical issue. You could try using the drive in a different system to be certain.

Other then that note down the make and model of your drive and look at the manufacturers website for a firmware update. Maybe it can fix the problem. Worst case the firmware update fails and the drive is broken for good.

It could be the rubber band, yes. But it's pretty hard to find a right sized one for a drive. If you have an old drive lying around somewhere you could try changing it.

Once a Widnows issue is ruled out I think the easiest solution is spending the $15-20 on a new one.

• Tarique B

There are several possibilities, including software problems (see Hovsep's comment for that) and hardware issue.
    Is the drive playing CD/sDVDs at all? Is it spinning at all? It could be that the either the power lead or the signal cable is a bit loose.
    It's also possible (less likely, but I've seen it happen before) that the ejection mechanism is damaged, and in that case you'll need to replace the drive (full size drives are cheap and easy to replace, slimline ones, such as those in laptops, somewhat more difficult).

• Tarique B

I am able to run cd/ dvds though it makes lil noise i guess ... only problem is with the ejection of cds...

• Tarique B

may be the ejection mechanism.. (the band) . coz it plays cd/ dvds

• Oron J

Yes, sounds like the ejection mechanism. Best thing is to replace the drive.

• Tarique B

uninstall the driver from device manager (do not delete) reboot and windows should reinstall the driver.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us