Can I use a UTStarcom modem separately for a Windows XP and a Windows 7 computer?

mustafa March 3, 2011

I have two PCs and one single UTStarcom (UT300R2U ADSL+ MODEM) modem. One computer runs on Windows 7, the other on Windows XP. Currently, the modem is configured with the Windows 7 PC.

Now my question is, if I configure the modem with the Windows XP PC, will I have to reconfigure the settings on the Windows 7 PC every time I connect it back? I want to use it for both of them individually.

Also, I don’t want to connect the PCs using the LAN network . The modem is connected to the Windows 7 PC via the ethernet port and the Windows XP PC does not have a LAN card, so I have to make connection via USB.

Mustafa,

could you set up the modem the way you wanted to following the advice above? Please let us know what worked for you or whether you need more help. Thank you!

You would start with the router connected to the DSL modem. Then connect 2 network switches to the ports 1 and 2 on the router. Each switch in each unit will connect all of the computers in that unit (or connect to a AP), you will assign each switch a static IP address through the router. For example the router IP address is 192.168.1.1. Switch one is 192.168.1.0 Switch 2 is 192.168.2.0. The Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0.

http://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/

Most likely the problem will be that not your computers but the Modem itself needs to be reconfigured when switching from Ethernet access to USB and vise versa.

I can only suggest to test it yourself - configure both computers and try connecting with each of them, one at a time.