How can I utilize the “Ctrl-(select)” or “Shift-(select)” function with mouse only?

Joe Wiedemeier October 20, 2010

Selecting multiple files in a Windows folder is a snap using the keyboard combos “shift-(select)” or “control-(select)”. But what about those times when you need to do this with a mouse only?

This is my 1st time to answer a question here but i always read MUO i hope i am right...Open WIN EXPLORER find ORGANIZE under organize menu hit FOLDER AND SEARCH OPTION under the pop up window hit VIEW tab find and put a check "USE CHECK BOXES TO SELECT ITEMS" APPLY HIT OK and your done. When you hover to a folder,item inside the folder, even desktop icons and hard drives you may see a box at the top left....please reply if i am right or you find tips to your question.

2. Sagar Agarwal

hey i have a alternate but don't know its fixes what u asking for..
    >go to any explorer window(say my computer)
    >now click on organize
    >now select folder and search options
    >head to view tab
    >select "use check boxes to select items"

3. Guilherme H.

It might work with a "super-mouse" like said before, but there's a little trick that can do this. With the Virtual Keyboard. On Windows, I use Windows 7 and don't remember if it's like this on Vista, XP and older versions, but it goes like this: just open the virtual keyboard and turn on the Ctrl key. It's like if you're holding down the real Ctrl key, and when you end your selection just click on the virtual Ctrl key again, and it works the same way for the Shift+(select), just turn on the virtual Shift key. Try it and say if it worked for you.

4. Waicool

I tried the onscreen keyboard which gave me some limited success, especially with the "cntrl" function. If there was a "super-mouse" with a programmable button on the thumb side to replicate the "shift" key, that would allow the user to hold down the "shift" key with the thumb while pressing the main left mouse button while dragging and selecting a group of files in a folder. I'm still looking....

5. Márcio Guerra

You seem in bad luck here... Unless you drag while pressing the left button, it will be hard. If it is a «super» mouse, you might get some luck if it as some extra buttons, set to that, however I find it very, very hard if not impossible... Sorry!