Why can’t other users see Google Chrome and where does it install to?

Osama Javaid March 29, 2012

After I installed Google Chrome on my Windows user account it only appears within my account and other users using the computer can’t see it anywhere. Even the Google Chrome folder is missing from the ‘Program Files’ folder on the C drive (though it’s not in my account either).

I would like to know where Google Chrome installs and why other users can’t see it?

1. Michael

use a WINDOWS COMPATABLE BROSWER, microsoft windows internet explorer was put in your computer for a reason. so freakin use it. 8 million toolbars you cant see, rootfiles not in your program files folder, 400,000 mb's of internet cache all come witht he wonderful chrome

• gozmom

But gmail bullies the user into installing Chrome by displaying the scare message every single time you look at your email. "Your browser will not be supported, stuff won't work, install Chrome now." I finally gave up and fell for it, now I don't know where it is, what I have, and if they are lying to me about Explorer.

• Tedster

Screw Internet Explorer. It's ridiculously slow. Chrome is awesome. Just download it to your other accounts, it's really not that hard.

2. ZoNi

One of many weird things in Chrome (no auto-hide of download bar; no way to choose Open or Save, when downloading files from the Net; no Print button; no possibility to remove/rename "Other bookmarks" folder, etc).

3. Chris Hoffman

Google Chrome actually installs on a per-user basis by default, so it doesn't require administrator permissions.

It actually installs to "C:Users[NAME]AppDataLocalGoogleChromeApplication", which is a very unusual location. AppData is supposed to have application data, not application binaries.

If you want to install Chrome system-wide, use the alternate installer from Google: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=118663

• Osama