How do I use a JavaScript code snippet to perform a redirect for Adblock users?

Simon J April 23, 2014

I have a question about the article 3 Tactics For Dealing With Ad-Block Users On Your Site 3 Tactics For Dealing With Ad-Block Users On Your Site 3 Tactics For Dealing With Ad-Block Users On Your Site Leaving ethical discussions aside (since I made my views on that quite clear last time), it is nonetheless true that ad-blocking is a real problem for bloggers and site owners the world over whose only... Read More . I have now implemented the pastebin JavaScript to my website. I have changed div=id to div=class and accordingly changed #myAdContainer to .myAdContainer. I have inserted the JavaScript into the header of my site and have inbound 1 of my ads with the div class=”.myAdContainer”>

I then tried to disable AdBlock and enable it, which should be redirecting me to the URL I have written in the JavaScript – in this case the URL is http://disney.com/ . I don’t know why it is not working for me. Can you please help me? All help would be appreciated :)

Kind regards
Simon

First: make it an ID, not a class. There's a reason it's like that - there can be only one named ID element. You should be able to surround your ad code with a specific ID, and just check one (perhaps you have more than one ad unit with the class, that's no good).

Second: the script requires jQuery, and though most modern themes will include it, it's not certain. The snippet is also written in jquery "compatibility" mode - this is really designed for wordpress, so if you have a non-wordpress site and are sure you have included jQuery, try changing all instances of "jQuery" to "$".

If you've tried both those, paste your URL here and I'll check the console.

Fair point!

Simon, you should really be asking this in the comments to the article itself. You're much more likely to get a response from people there.

• Bruce E

That article was originally published more than a year ago. The comments close after 180 days, so he cannot look for answers there.