How do I use Grooveshark as a DJ at my wedding?

Gustavo I March 24, 2014

Hi MUO, been a long time.

I am getting married soon and for the reception we want to have music (go figure!), and the place we are hosting the ceremony at has an audio system that allows us to take our music and they can play it for us, no DJ required.

We would like for our guests to add songs to our playlist. I created a playlist in Grooveshark and shared it but it doesn’t seem that guests can add songs to the playlist. Does anyone have any recommendations on a service that would allow us to create a music playlist, share it and let other people add songs to that playlist?

Thanks in advance,
Gus

1. Gustavo I

It worked thanks!

Hopefully my friends and family will catch up :D

2. Haris D

+1 for Spotify

3. Ben S

Hello, Gus!

So cool to hear that you want to handle the music at your reception this way - I think it's a great idea!

Overall, I don't think that Grooveshark is your best option. It is a good free music service, but I've found (at least in the past) that some tracks that appear on Grooveshark are incomplete, named poorly, cut off after a minute, etc. So it's not bad, but you can do better.

For your situation, I recommend Spotify. I've been a Premium subscriber to Spotify for about 8 months and I love it. However, you'll be able to pull this off without having to pay for Spotify.

Simply get Spotify (there's even a web player), make an account, and you can start listening to music. What you'll want to do is create a playlist - check the sidebar on the left for playlists. In addition, the program will give you a tour when you first use it to be sure you know your way around.

Once you create your reception playlist and add some music of your choice into it, you'll want to make it collaborative so that anyone can add to it. Simply right-click your playlist and check the "Collaborative Playlist" option - this means people can add to it. Once you do that, right-click it once again to share it. Here, you can send it to whoever you like - via a Facebook group or however else you wish. Have them add their own tracks, and you will have an awesome collection! Make sure to check over it before you use it to prevent explicit songs, duplicates, etc.

One final matter - Spotify Free has ads, which you certainly don't want at your reception. For this, you'll want to sign up for a free month-long trial of Spotify Premium. Among other things, Premium most importantly removes ads and allows for higher-quality streaming - check Spotify's Preferences for this. You can also cross-fade tracks together and make playlists available offline - perfect if you're going to be away from internet service for some reason. This should be an awesome solution for you - let me know if you need more help/explanation! Finally, be sure to cancel auto-renewal of the Premium subscription so you're not charged for another unwanted month.

• Gustavo I

I am testing this out, no one has added songs to it yet. Maybe my friends are boring hahahaha

I'll let you now once the songs start coming in.