How do I use gesture controls with an Arduino modified as a Bluetooth remote control?

January 20, 2014

Hi, I want to play around with using an arduino as a remote, i.e to control a phone’s music app over bluetooth.

What i want to do though is instead of having buttons have it be able to control the phone with gestures.

For example:

• Shake to start and stop.
  • Spin right to turn up, spin left to turn down.
  • Tap to skip track.

My problem is, I don’t really have any idea where to start….

I guess I would need some form of Bluetooth module and a gyroscope as a bare minimum? I already have an Arduino Uno and a Rasberry Pi

Do you guys have any idea if this is at all feasible as an idea and how I might execute it? Is there anything similar out there? All I could find was some info on creating Infa.red remotes.

I would quite like to adapt the IR one to do gestures too, but Bluetooth is my main concern.

Would it be easier to do this with android phones/a computer/iPhone as the Bluetooth receiver?

Sorry to have so many questions!

1. James B

I can't be of much help as Bluetooth is totally beyond me, but I would start with a simple tilt switch and vibration sensor before moving onto things like a gyroscope. You could get shake, and possibly spinning gestures with just those.