How do I use Cobian Backup 11 to successfully copy locked files?

May 15, 2014

I just installed Cobian Backup 11 and tried the first backup. I am getting a long list of errors in the log. here is what some of it looks like:

2014-05-15 00:49 The destination directory “F:\C 2014-05-15 00;49;23 (Full)” has been successfully created
2014-05-15 00:49 Backing up the directory “GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy85\”
ERR 2014-05-15 00:53 Couldn’t copy the file “GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy85\hiberfil.sys”: Access is denied
ERR 2014-05-15 00:55 Couldn’t copy the file “GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy85\pagefile.sys”: Access is denied
ERR 2014-05-15 01:30 Couldn’t copy the file “GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy85
ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\Keys\00130c9d198d4fecf97d6ad429531513_efb6f1a2-6282-409c-b426-d46d3ac647b2”: Access is denied

What is wrong and how do I fix this?

Thanks!

I'd just like to point our you wouldn't actually want these files backed up anyway as they are essentially temporary files (or to be precise, the files are fixed, but their content changes all the time). There would be no advantage in keeping a backup of them, and they may even prevent your machine from starting up properly if you had to recover from backup.

Try the below solution from cobian forum user which might be helpful to you as the issue is similar you are facing now -

Ptochos -

I'm having the same problem with this otherwise flawess backup program.

Looks like the cause and resoluion to the problem is discussed by Microsoft here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363783(VS.85).aspx

This problem has just popped up for me because I deceided to encrypt the security folder that contains the keys to our kingdom. Nice to know EFS really works!

I will try:
    1) Exclude that EFS folder from the backup
    2) Set up a "before backup event" to zip and encrypt that folder.
    =) The backup should be able to copy the zip file.

Another option may be to give the impersonating account the rights to read EFS. This could be a dangerous thing to do if anyone has access to the impersonating account cerdentials. Of

The fix would be a change in the backup routine to incorperate the above refenced article.

If ReadFile fails, try OpenEncryptedFileRaw then ReadEncryptedFileRaw

The following raw encryption APIs are available for use with backup and restore applications:

Raw Encryption API Description
    OpenEncryptedFileRaw Open an encrypted file with access to data in encrypted format.
    CloseEncryptedFileRaw Close an encrypted file opened with OpenEncryptedFileRaw
    ReadEncryptedFileRaw Read an encrypted file leaving its data in encrypted format
    WriteEncryptedFileRaw Write an encrypted file leaving its data in encrypted format
    ImportCallback Application-defined callback for use with WriteEncryptedFileRaw
    ExportCallback Application-defined callback for use with ReadEncryptedFileRaw

3. Rajaa C

Mail this question exactly like you posted here at cobian@cobiansoft.com . He will revert back. In the email subject line mention ERROR ISSUE : Cobian Backup 11