How do I use an Android device as “grey card” for white balance?

Anonymous January 28, 2014

I am typing from my iPhone, which I want to use to shoot a short film.

I’ve recently downloaded FiLMiC Pro and want to custom set the white balance to give my images a bluish hue. I thought of installing an app on my second device (LG L4 II tri-SIM, E470) that would enable me to use its screen to display a solid colour (a plain orange, in this scenario). I would then point the iPhone’s camera to the screen and lock the white balance.

Anyone got an app you can suggest me to install? Perhaps a second option would be a camera app that can manually set white balance, or a color grading app?

From the top of my head I would simply create a picture with the all solid color and then view it on your LG phone in fullscreen.

Going a few steps back:
    Have you actually pointed the iPhones camera on the LG screen during a video recording?
    More often than not touchscreens have a terrible refresh rate so trying to get the desired white balance may be a real pain...

Personally I would go with a quality printout and a good light source or better a Pantone color wheel.