USB Ports Aren’t Reading My Flash Drives

Tracy February 21, 2010

I have Vista and when I go to my computer and I have a Flash drive plugged in it doesnt acknowlge my flash drive. I can also confirm that my USB ports are working. I have no way of getting the info off of the flash drive. I have tried everything. Any ideas of how to fix this problem?

1. s.vinod kumar

my pen drive is not read by my laptop one of the ports please suggest to repairing proceedure pleas. my e id    'sirigiri1968@gmail.com"

Kumar, 

I recommend that you ask a new question.

2. Inuyasha8baby

HI My problem is the ame as tracy's but a little different, my flash drive was working in the morning and afternoon. But When I went to put it into the USB port it wouldnt read.

Inuyasha,

the question you replied to is rather old. You should post your own new question. Otherwise you might not get a response.

Please describe in detail what your problem is, whether you saw any error messages, and what software / operating system you are using. Thank you.

Recently my brother’s laptop which runs Windows Vista home premium stopped recognizing any USB drives. Every time a USB drive connected to the laptop, you are asked to install the drivers for that device.

The good news is I found the solution (from the Internet) on how to fix this problem. The file INFCACHE.1 in C:windowsinf could be corrupted which is the main cause of the problem.

So to fix this, we need to remove that file. First, locate that file, right click on it and select properties. Then, set the permission so that normal user can delete that file. Finally, just delete that file and don’t forget to try plugging any USB drive again.

HTH

4. Tracy

Yes! When I typed G: The flash drive came up but it still doesnt show as a drive in my computer. It also worked when I type other drives. Thank you so much. Now how do we make it appear in My Computer

Is it only Flash drives that don't work? Do other USB devices such as printers work?

What I can suggest, is that you right click on Computer, select Manage. The on the left hand side, click on Device Manager and make sure there are no errors occurring, and that when you plug your flash drive in, it is being recognized.

Also, what do you mean by doesn't recognize? Computer does nothing? Does the flash drive light up?

• Tracy

I have went to Device manager and it says there are no problems. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of them. When I plug the flash drives in they light up but I have no way of accessing anything on them because when I go to "My computer" It only shows my hard drive abd my cd rom drives

• Jack Cola

Tracy, try typing in D:, E:, F: etc into My Computer, and see if anything comes up? Also, with the instructions I gave above, instead of clicking on Device Manager, click on Disk Management, and see if your Flash Drive appears there.

Does your Flash Drive work in other computers, or just yours? When did you notice it stop working? You may want to try a Systems Restore?

6. Vinny Panico

Does the flash drive work on other computers?

• Tracy

Yes they work. I have tried many including an mp3 player. Everything else works. Like printers or a mouse. I can even download from a camera because it asks if I want to open files or download automatically but it doesn't show up on "My Computer".