Why does my USB mouse work while my external hard drive and pendrive don’t?

Anonymous June 10, 2014

I have a Transcend pendrive of 4gb and External Hard disk of Transcend. When I put them in my Laptop, it detects. But when I put it on computer, it doesn’t detect. I tried searching in disk management, but it is neither in disk management nor in my computer. I have a USB mouse but it is working. Please help me.

You got some good advice there. There are essentially two possible diagnoses:
    1. The drive requires more power than the USB port on your PC is providing (have you tried different USB ports?)
    2. Windows' "USB Mass Storage" driver is faulty (see the link Hovsep provided for a solution.

Hello, Have you tried connecting them to a different USB port? In a desktop, try connecting to USB ports in back of tower......not the front ports...

You could also try checking in device manager if there is an issue with your USB ports....If needs be, try uninstalling USB ports and restart computer.....they will be reinstalled automatically and try again.

3. Alyce C

Your USB storage drive might be locked, please check if that's the case.

5. Alan W

USB 2 or 3?