Why won’t my USB modem work with Ubuntu?

ram lalit November 14, 2011

My iBall USB modem is not working with Ubuntu 11.10, is there any solution?

1. Ram

exam time i didn't try it .may be i will try it next week......

Ram,

were you able to make your USB drive work with Ubuntu in the meantime? Please let us know in case you are still struggling. If you solved it, however, we would love to know what did the trick. Thank you!

It's possible that your drive features a Virtual CD or data partition and is therefor not recognized as a modem.

You can always give it a try using Sakis3g or USB Modeswitch.

4. Jeff

It probably needs a driver. Problem is, I can't even find a proprietary Windows driver for it, can you give me the full model of the modem?

See if it's available in the restricted hardware drivers.

• Ram

thanx i will see in restricted drivers'

Hello, is this the modem you have?  Read the os compatibility list on the attached picture.

Hello, is this the modem you have?

http://iball.co.in/Product.aspx

Linux doesn't seem to be in the compatibility list for this modem.  That doesn't mean that it can not be connected, it'll just take a little bit of work.  Is this a new ubuntu installation? or Is this a new modem?  Did it work before?

• Ram

ya the given picture is my modem..and ya its a fresh ubuntu installation.i opened the exe file of modem installation with wine but the connect is not clickable.