Why is my USB flash drive not available on my PC even though it installed successfully?

Ravikumar R October 26, 2014

I bought a Sandisk 32GB dual drive pendrive. When I connected it to my (XP) PC it first showed a new hard drive was detected and after some time it displayed the message “your drive is installed, your PC needs to restart.” It gave the options yes and no.

I clicked yes and it restarted, but it took to much time that I removed the pen drive. After removed it and restarted, I connected the pen drive again. It showed “installed successfully” but I can’t see it on my computer as a removable disk .

1. Jan F.

Since you removed the drive premature it may not have a drive letter assigned.
    click on Start > Run and type "compmgmt.msc"
    in the new window click on Diskmanagement

Look for your Sandisk drive and check which drive letter it has assigned. If it does not have one right-click the drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths", click Add,and assign a free drive letter.

If the drive is not listed go into Device Manager and look for the drive, it should be listed under Disk Drives. Right-click the Sandisk drive and select uninstall.
    Be careful! Uninstalling the wrong drive can damage your system.
    Next in the top click on Action > Scan for hardware changes.